Receptacle in a shallow box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

olc

Quick question:
Can a GFI receptacle be installed in a 1-1/4" deep box?
Or perhaps a regular receptacle that is down stream of a GFI?

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
I think the smallest 1-1/4" deep box you can get is an octagon box with 12.5 cubic inches of volume. Should even be legal with the cable clamp. Use a 4" square 1-1/4" deep box and you have more than enough cubic volume.

If anyone sells a single device box 1-1/4" deep it won't have sufficient volume.

Biggest problem is the depth of the GFCI device itself. The Leviton slim GFCIs are claimed to protrude 1.026" into the box, but you still need clearance for things like wire bending.

-Jon

olc

Thanks.
To be more specific: An architect wants to use regular cabinets for a residential kitchen island. The back will have a counter over hang (so no receptacle back there under the overhang).
So lets just say a 1-1/4" wall box fits in the side.
Will a regular receptacle fit (assuming fed from a GFI receptacle) a regular wall device box?
So the wiring would go down though the cabinet below the drawer. I would think conduit would be better than cable.
Either way I picture that the knock-out would be half buried in the side of the cabinet.

Possibly if the receptacle were installed right below the drawer, it would be with-in 12" below the counter. Then depth is not an issue.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
According to 314.16, there are no 3 x 2 or 4 x 2-1/8 1-1/4 devcie boxes.. they show those in a 1-1./2" deep box box even those would not permit a 12/2 WG + device.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
If you are talking about a 3x2 'device box', then it won't work. Either with a GFCI or a regular 5-15 receptacle.

A 3x2x1.5" box has a volume of 7.5 cubic inches, and you need 10 or 12, depending upon cable clamping.

I don't think a 3x2x1.25" box is available.

If you have 1.25" space between the inside of the cabinet wall and whatever is a problem, then you could make it work, because you have the 'device ring' adding extra depth.

-Jon

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Find the receptacle or GFCI you want to use first. 314.24(B)(4) requires boxes to be 1/4" deeper than the depth of the mounted device if the device is 1" or deeper from its mounting yoke. It also specifies a minimum box depth of 1 3/16 ". This applies only to #10 and #12 circuits. But if this is a kitchen counter/island, it will most likely be #12. I think the idea of shortening the top drawer is a good one if that works. Many times, the drawer backs are a few inches from the back of the cabinet anyway. You may be able to squeeze a deep single gang box in that cavity with the factory drawer depth.

Another solution - an outlet on the counter fed from below. Like a tombstone box near the back of the cabinet. Now someone can sit at that overhang, eat, and charge their phone...

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Find the receptacle or GFCI you want to use first. 314.24(B)(4) requires boxes to be 1/4" deeper than the depth of the mounted device if the device is 1" or deeper from its mounting yoke. It also specifies a minimum box depth of 1 3/16 ". This applies only to #10 and #12 circuits. But if this is a kitchen counter/island, it will most likely be #12. I think the idea of shortening the top drawer is a good one if that works. Many times, the drawer backs are a few inches from the back of the cabinet anyway. You may be able to squeeze a deep single gang box in that cavity with the factory drawer depth.

Another solution - an outlet on the counter fed from below. Like a tombstone box near the back of the cabinet. Now someone can sit at that overhang, eat, and charge their phone...
Why haven’t I ever seen 314.24(B)(4). I’ve often thought those cu in requirements need some extra help.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Depending on how the cabinet/drawer are made, you might be able to get a box horizontal, just above the sidewall of the drawer. Or as mentiond already, vertical behind the drawer. Most drawers aren't full-depth.

But cabinet designers/builders need their heads slapped sometimes. I do a tone of kitchens, and it's almost always a struggle to find a place for receptacles

olc

Can some one give me the quick calc for a device box with one receptacle and one #12 going in?

(I could figure it out but that would not be quick)

olc

BTW - How would you get wiring to the box?
If a cupboard below up through the shelf.
If drawers below, the drawer dividers would be in the way of doing any work.
(just try to picture it)

James L

Occupation
Electrician
It all depends on whether the shelves are fixed or adjustable, how close the drawer Glides are to the sidewall of the cabinet, whether or not there is a recessed toe kick below the receptacle location, etc.

I've seen plenty of guys drill a hole through adjustable shelves, and make it so the shelf can't be removed.

If you're in a cramped space, you can use a right angle drill with a unibit for your hole. That's very low profile

Status
Not open for further replies.