Receptacle in a shallow box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Can some one give me the quick calc for a device box with one receptacle and one #12 going in?

(I could figure it out but that would not be quick)
2.25 times number of conductors. device counts as two conductors, if there is internal cable clamp in the box that counts as one conductor. 11.25 is minimum box presuming hot, neutral, ground and one device, 13.5 if internal clamp.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA 21 Hours from Winged Horses wi
Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Engineer
I can tell you a Carlon B108R will fit in the wall of a cabinet and hold a receptacle (NOT GFCI) fed with one 12-2 NM. And it clears the drawers on the ones I installed.

I did not say legal, as it is only 8 cu in..... so 3.25 cu in too small. Even for 14-2 NM, but talking kitchen and bath cabinets, so 12-2 only. But has passed inspection. They are never installed for rough in, as the cabinets are not yet installed. YMMV.

Then there are Sillites. http://www.sillites.com/remodel.php

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I can tell you a Carlon B108R will fit in the wall of a cabinet and hold a receptacle (NOT GFCI) fed with one 12-2 NM. And it clears the drawers on the ones I installed.

I did not say legal, as it is only 8 cu in..... so 3.25 cu in too small. Even for 14-2 NM, but talking kitchen and bath cabinets, so 12-2 only. But has passed inspection. They are never installed for rough in, as the cabinets are not yet installed. YMMV.

Then there are Sillites. http://www.sillites.com/remodel.php
Without a box clamp, it only needs 11.25

And you're right. It's not big enough technically, but sometimes you just have to live with the best balance between technical and practical

James L

Occupation
Electrician

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Nobody makes a self-contained NEMA 5-15 receptacle with screw terminals, like those self-contained surface mount range receptacles?

Cheers, Wayne

olc

Any reason NM box can't be used?
The receptacle can be connected to a GFI receptacle, so it can be a regular receptacle?

I'm going to take another shot at suggesting short drawers.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Any reason NM box can't be used?
The receptacle can be connected to a GFI receptacle, so it can be a regular receptacle?

I'm going to take another shot at suggesting short drawers.
In our area, we use NM all the time. As long as it is above the drawer glides, it's considered inaccessible.

Coming up from the bottom, we can sleeve the NM cable with some carflex or metal flex up to the drawer glides

kwired

Electron manager
Nobody makes a self-contained NEMA 5-15 receptacle with screw terminals, like those self-contained surface mount range receptacles?

Cheers, Wayne
they have been around for a long time

1606411417316.png
Doubt you will find them in a TR version though.

Old barns - that is about all there was installed in them. Not that they were the greatest thing to use in that kind of environment though, and art 547 didn't exist when they were new. They had single and three way switches as well as edison base lamp sockets (keyless and pull chain) on same type of base. Don't know I have seen the lamp sockets in recent new units but switches and receptacles are still available, seems to be more common at ma and pa hardware stores and farm supply stores than at supply houses or big box stores though.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired

View attachment 2554400

Old barns - that is about all there was installed in them. Not that they were the greatest thing to use in that kind of environment though, and art 547 didn't exist when they were new. They had single and three way switches as well as edison base lamp sockets (keyless and pull chain) on same type of base. Don't know I have seen the lamp sockets in recent new units but switches and receptacles are still available, seems to be more common at ma and pa hardware stores and farm supply stores than at supply houses or big box stores though.
Quite a few years ago I bought one at the local hardware, now closed. It still had an early '60s price sticker on it.

kwired

Electron manager
Quite a few years ago I bought one at the local hardware, now closed. It still had an early '60s price sticker on it.
Quite a few years ago it was still the early 60's :LOL:

I find it interesting to find price stickers from long ago on installed items. Many times with name of a place that no longer exists. Or even a price hand written on an item.

retirede

View attachment 2554400

My old barn was full of them. But none of them had that little round hole below the slots. What’s that for again?

olc

In our area, we use NM all the time. As long as it is above the drawer glides, it's considered inaccessible.

Coming up from the bottom, we can sleeve the NM cable with some carflex or metal flex up to the drawer glides

On one side the receptacle can be just under the drawer (in a cabinet) and be with-in 12" of the counter top.
The wiring would go down (obviously).
NM box and NM cable OK? (would be exposed inside the cabinet)

James L

Occupation
Electrician
On one side the receptacle can be just under the drawer (in a cabinet) and be with-in 12" of the counter top.
The wiring would go down (obviously).
NM box and NM cable OK? (would be exposed inside the cabinet)
NM isn't ok if it's subject to damage.
In our area (Kansas City) we can sleeve it, even up to a box that's below drawer glides. We just have to make sure it either has integral NM clamp, or if it's a 1/2" knockout we use an NM connector.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
News break - the architect just caved in and shorted the top side drawer.
That absolutely makes the most sense.

I'm curious if you have an idea how much time it has cost you to maneuver through a resolution. Contractors, architects, designers and customers have little to no regard for it

Status
Not open for further replies.