Receptacle in Plumbing wall of Kitchen Island

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortcircuit1

Hello,

If there is a plumbing wall on the backside of the kitchen island and if it is more than 2' wide as per code since it counts as a wall space do i need to have a receptacle in the plumbing wall? The overhang goes for 1'2" on the backside of the cabinet...

shortcircuit1

You need a receptacle everywhere one is required even if there is plumbing in the wall. You don't have to worry about them acting like unchaperoned teenagers, plumbing and the electrical will behave themselves when the wall is closed up,

So you are saying i can count that as a 2' wall space?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
If there is a plumbing wall on the backside of the kitchen island. . .
If this is an island, then I infer it is entirely within the kitchen (i.e., does not form a "wall" between the kitchen and another room). If that is true, then the "wall space" rules do not apply at all. The "island" rule applies; you only need one receptacle somewhere on the island.

shortcircuit1

If this is an island, then I infer it is entirely within the kitchen (i.e., does not form a "wall" between the kitchen and another room). If that is true, then the "wall space" rules do not apply at all. The "island" rule applies; you only need one receptacle somewhere on the island.

Doesn't that wall become a part of the living/dining area as well if that is an open kitchen?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Let me ask for clarification in this way: If you are standing on one side of the "island-thingy," you are clearly in the kitchen. When you walk around to the other side, are you still in the kitchen, or are you now in a different room?

Status
Not open for further replies.