Receptacle installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike01

While on a project site the electrician installed backboxes with extension rings however with the additional wall covering the receptacle when installed flush is not completely recessed into the raised cover plate? Someone indicated that the code allows this seperation between the receptacle and the raised cover / mud ring as long as it does not exceed 1/4"? After further research I could not find anyting to reference this, it appears the receptacle when installed is "exposed" between the gypboard and the device raised cover plate / mud ring of apporx. 1/4" is this typical or accpetable my suggestion was a box extender? Is there anywhere in the code that permits this type of installation?

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
While on a project site the electrician installed backboxes with extension rings however with the additional wall covering the receptacle when installed flush is not completely recessed into the raised cover plate? Someone indicated that the code allows this seperation between the receptacle and the raised cover / mud ring as long as it does not exceed 1/4"? After further research I could not find anyting to reference this, it appears the receptacle when installed is "exposed" between the gypboard and the device raised cover plate / mud ring of apporx. 1/4" is this typical or accpetable my suggestion was a box extender? Is there anywhere in the code that permits this type of installation?

I don't think there is a code for that but the receptacle should fit in the cover so you would not need long screws to hold the cover on.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
See 314.20

314.20 In Wall or Ceiling.
In walls or ceilings with a surface of concrete, tile, gypsum, plaster, or other noncombustible material, boxes employing a flush-type cover or faceplate shall be installed so that the front edge of the box, plaster ring, extension ring, or listed extender will not be set back of the finished surface more than 6 mm (1/4 in.).
In walls and ceilings constructed of wood or other combustible surface material, boxes, plaster rings, extension rings, or listed extenders shall be flush with the finished surface or project therefrom.

Roger

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent

314.20 is the code section.

Status
Not open for further replies.