Receptacle on Light Pole

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I have been asked whether we can install receptacles on one or more new parking light poles. How easy or hard is that? Most pole detail drawings that I have seen include a handhole for manipulating wiring. But I have not seen a detail that includes a receptacle. The lights will be fed at 277 volts, so I know I will need to run a separate 120 volt circuit. I would run both circuits (lights and receptacles) in the same underground conduit.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I've installed receptacles onto square light poles pretty quickly.

Just drill a 1/2 inch knockout, and use a close nipple threaded into the back of a Bell box. The hand hole should be big enough, you can reach in and put a lock ring and bushing on the back side of the nipple

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Technically your not supposed to drill holes in a pole, but it is done thousands of times. Some manufacturers will install cutouts for receptacles at a customer specified height. It is done quite often for parking lot registers if they are having a tent sale.

kwired

Electron manager
Technically your not supposed to drill holes in a pole, but it is done thousands of times. Some manufacturers will install cutouts for receptacles at a customer specified height. It is done quite often for parking lot registers if they are having a tent sale.
Up higher openings on the pole is pretty common in "downtown" areas or other pass through roads in smaller cities/villages to plug in holiday displays that hang on the pole.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
As mentioned, many many pole designs allow for an optional receptacle arrangement when ordering. Field adding these in most cases is a violation of the pole listing due to engineering issues. Their have been pole failures due to this. Also many designs can be engineered to allow various other attachments for hanging banners and such.

kwired

Electron manager
Seems to me we will need receptacles on poles for all the new EV chargers :)
Nope, how about burying whatever is needed to allow for "wireless charging" in the roadways so you are almost always charging while driving. Could put this in the infrastructure bill they are wanting to get passed, that shouldn't cost much. :unsure:

Charged

Occupation
Electrical Designer
I couldn’t easily track it down but I usually start with with the state DOT standard construction drawings for roadway lighting for a good detail. If you could do 208v lighting then there is a nice way to do it with the lighting circuit by running some extra hot conductors, I’ll try to track down the detail although it may not be applicable for you.

Another good thing to note is intermatic came out with a whip that plugs into the photocell 5 pin outlet and has a 20a plug that is a good solution for existing street lights that may want to add the Christmas lights or something. I got a sample for one of the municipalities I work with and they liked it a lot. There are a couple different products.

dpcarls1598

Master Electrician
Occupation
Master Electrician
Check with the pole manufacturer. Musco sports lighting manufactures an outlet box that is also the hand hole cover that I’ve used quite a bit lately. Not sure the price but better than coming up the side of the pole and using straps to hold it in place.

Attachments

• 1DB7E36E-8DDE-4D14-B0AB-0E4E7E5EDFD5.jpeg
    1DB7E36E-8DDE-4D14-B0AB-0E4E7E5EDFD5.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 19

hillbilly1

Occupation
Nope, how about burying whatever is needed to allow for "wireless charging" in the roadways so you are almost always charging while driving. Could put this in the infrastructure bill they are wanting to get passed, that shouldn't cost much. :unsure:
Right up there with solar roadways! LOL!

retirede

Will they use 277 or 480 to charge? Will any EV take "nomal" 120/208/240/277/480 AC, or do they all need a charger?

Current EVs have internal chargers that operate on 120/240 (maybe 208). But an EVSE is required to negotiate the charge rate with the vehicle. Most cars come with an EVSE that will connect with 5-15 or 14-50 plug.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Current EVs have internal chargers that operate on 120/240 (maybe 208). But an EVSE is required to negotiate the charge rate with the vehicle. Most cars come with an EVSE that will connect with 5-15 or 14-50 plug.
Yes, they will operate on 208. You would think they could come up with a built in charger that would auto select like a ballast or led driver. It would bring down the cost of installing commercial stations drastically.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
As mentioned, many many pole designs allow for an optional receptacle arrangement when ordering. Field adding these in most cases is a violation of the pole listing due to engineering issues. Their have been pole failures due to this. Also many designs can be engineered to allow various other attachments for hanging banners and such.
How many failures are you really aware of that were the direct result of a 1/2" conduit hole being drilled in tot he fixture? No other reason. I am skeptical that it is more than zero. I do totally agree that it would violate the UL and give any structural engineer fits though.

robertd

Occupation
electrical contractor
How many failures are you really aware of that were the direct result of a 1/2" conduit hole being drilled in tot he fixture? No other reason. I am skeptical that it is more than zero. I do totally agree that it would violate the UL and give any structural engineer fits though.
I've seen many light poles where part of the original conduit has been abandoned with LBs drilled into the side of the base for the replacement conduit.

Status
Not open for further replies.