Receptacle outlets and dimmers

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

Would like to get some input on dimmingLED strip lighting.

All of the LED strip lighting that Ive been looking at comes with a transformer and a cord and plug connection.

Instructions say that the product can be dimmed using a ELV dimmer.

Code prohibits dimming a receptacle??

Any code compliant ways around using the factory installed equipment if you can dim a receptacle?

Thanks

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Isn't it still a violation to dim it.

Code doesn't differentiate between single or duplex.
I'm thinking differentiating by location, not receptacle type.

Is there enough 120v wire to replace the plug on the lighting? If so, use a different configuration.

growler

404.14 (F) Exception: where a snap switch or control device is used to control not more than one receptacle on a branch circuit,the switch or control device shall be permitted to be rated at not less than the rating of the receptacle.

Sounds like you would need an 1800W dimmer.

nizak

Ok. Now that I can get the female dimming receptacle from Lutron, I void the warranty on the transformer by cutting off the factory male end and installing the one to fit the receptacle .

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
By, George, I believe you've got it! ;)

Or you could call the light maker and have this discussion with them.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
A few years ago, I was involved in a project for which the tenant wanted to install receptacles in the ceiling, some with simple on/off switches and others with dimming switches. This was a lighting design lab, and they wanted to control the sample light fixtures that vendors would bring to the lab. There was an NEC requirement that I cannot find at present. It said that if a receptacle was to be controlled by a dimmer, then that receptacle (and its matching cord cap) had to be "unique." That meant that you could not plug a standard 120V cord cap into this receptacle. The intent was to prevent the inappropriate, and potentially dangerous, powering of a device with a power source that can be "dimmed" below 120 volts.

This created a challenge for us, as the lighting vendors all had standard 120V cord caps on their power cords. What we ended up doing was to install a unique receptacle (I don't recall what type it was), and then give the tenant a set of adapter cords.

My point is that dimming a standard receptacle, duplex or simplex, is (or was) a violation. I don't have the time right now to dig for the code reference. I did not see it in 406, which is where I thought it ought to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.