Receptacle over a Laundry Tub

Status
Not open for further replies.

mknights

I ran into an issue that I was a little confused on. While working in a laundry area of a unfinished basement I had the following situation. A receptacle was installed approximately 4 inches above the laundry tub, inside of vertical plane of the tub. This receptacle was a non-GFCI, in a metal box (non-weather proof). I knew because it was with in 6 feet of the tub it needed to be a GFCI but the part I was a little uncertain on was should it be in a weatherproof enclosure and also what is the minimum height above the sink. I have looked through the NEC and do not see any mention to minimum height in Article 210, it describes distances more along a horizontal plane and the point that the receptacle cannot be facing up. I understand the damp requirements of exterior weatherproof boxes.
Common sense tells me yes it should be in a weatherproof enclosure to minimize the risk of splashing because this location was within the tub area, or even better relocate the receptacle away from where splashing could occur. What I did was move the receptacle to be two feet from the edge of the tub, changed it to GFCI. I was just curious of others perspective on this type of situation.

LawnGuyLandSparky

I ran into an issue that I was a little confused on. While working in a laundry area of a unfinished basement I had the following situation. A receptacle was installed approximately 4 inches above the laundry tub, inside of vertical plane of the tub. This receptacle was a non-GFCI, in a metal box (non-weather proof). I knew because it was with in 6 feet of the tub it needed to be a GFCI but the part I was a little uncertain on was should it be in a weatherproof enclosure and also what is the minimum height above the sink. I have looked through the NEC and do not see any mention to minimum height in Article 210, it describes distances more along a horizontal plane and the point that the receptacle cannot be facing up. I understand the damp requirements of exterior weatherproof boxes.
Common sense tells me yes it should be in a weatherproof enclosure to minimize the risk of splashing because this location was within the tub area, or even better relocate the receptacle away from where splashing could occur. What I did was move the receptacle to be two feet from the edge of the tub, changed it to GFCI. I was just curious of others perspective on this type of situation.

Why would you mention WP box or a WP cover? I don't know what goes on around other people's sinks, but if it involves any splashing onto the walls or floors it's not the intended purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.