Receptacle placement in relationship to hose bib

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw_ross

Yesterday, I was going over the placement of a recep that is near a hose bib but inside a structure with a GC. The hose bib was in a utility closet that housed a bunch of other mechanical equipment that served a swimming pool. The closet had a floor drain but definitely isn't considered a "shower" because of the other equipment in the space. The hose bib was used to fill a mop bucket and was at about 36".

I needed to place a GFCI Recep and a switch, all related to controlling and protecting the pool lights.

When we were "eye-balling" the placement the GC was like "Oh yeah, you gotta be 12 inches from the hose bib don't you".

I said "Where did you get that from?"
He said that's code.
I was like, what code? Who's code?
He didn't really have a good answer. I told him you can't have a Recep in a shower or tub space.
Other than that I can't find a code related requirement limiting placement?
I feel like good common sense will tell you where you shouldn't put the Recep.
Other than that, you have to use a WR Recep and have the appropriate WP cover.

Anything I'm missing?
State codes don't amend or add to NEC on this issue.

To avoid any conflict I put it more than 12" away (up and to the side)

Thanks!

kwired

Electron manager
Yesterday, I was going over the placement of a recep that is near a hose bib but inside a structure with a GC. The hose bib was in a utility closet that housed a bunch of other mechanical equipment that served a swimming pool. The closet had a floor drain but definitely isn't considered a "shower" because of the other equipment in the space. The hose bib was used to fill a mop bucket and was at about 36".

I needed to place a GFCI Recep and a switch, all related to controlling and protecting the pool lights.

When we were "eye-balling" the placement the GC was like "Oh yeah, you gotta be 12 inches from the hose bib don't you".

I said "Where did you get that from?"
He said that's code.
I was like, what code? Who's code?
He didn't really have a good answer. I told him you can't have a Recep in a shower or tub space.
Other than that I can't find a code related requirement limiting placement?
I feel like good common sense will tell you where you shouldn't put the Recep.
Other than that, you have to use a WR Recep and have the appropriate WP cover.

Anything I'm missing?
State codes don't amend or add to NEC on this issue.

To avoid any conflict I put it more than 12" away (up and to the side)

Thanks!
Mostly comes down to is it a wet location?

Can even be a situation of below the hose bibb is a wet location above it is not.

sw_ross

And deep down, code rule or not, you probably felt better about putting it there anyway.

JAP>

Yeah, common sense tells a person to not put it in a place that is subject to water when you have other options. I just was thrown aback when he said you couldn't (by code) put it within 12" of the water source.

It makes you second guess yourself when a statement like that is thrown out. I disagreed a little bit but decided it wasn't worth arguing about since I had options to put it more than 12" away. Plus I preferred the location where I ended up placing it.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Yeah, common sense tells a person to not put it in a place that is subject to water when you have other options. I just was thrown aback when he said you couldn't (by code) put it within 12" of the water source.

It makes you second guess yourself when a statement like that is thrown out. I disagreed a little bit but decided it wasn't worth arguing about since I had options to put it more than 12" away. Plus I preferred the location where I ended up placing it.

I've found some just throw out comments like that to make their existence on earth seem more important at times.

Sometimes best to let them bask in the moment,,,,for however short that may be. :)

Jap>

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Place directly under hose bibb, close enough that the bubble cover you put on it interferes with hose bibb usage:)

If the bubble is placed properly, you won't be able to attach a hose, -and- you won't be able to open the bubble! No more problems!

Status
Not open for further replies.