Receptacles in a screened in porch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunter20

Hello all....my first post. I've attempted to use the search engine, but i have not come across my situation.

I am in the process of building a 12 x 12 screened in porch on top of my exisiting deck. I am using 4 x 4 posts to support the roof and it is on these posts that i'd like to put an outdoor receptacle. Here comes the fun part. How do I hide the wires? I'm using a vinyl sleeve over the 4 x 4 post, so i'm considering cutting a groove in the 4 x 4 post large enough to allow the outdoor 12/2 wire to fit in it. Then i would simply put the vinyl sleeve down over it. This avoids having to run (according to my wife) unattractive conduit to each location.

Any thoughts of whether this is good / bad idea? My initial thoughts are bad, b/c someone could attempt to nail into the post and "hit" the wire.

I live in MD and plan on doing the work myself. However i did visit my local government office and had an electrical permit pulled. I had to pass a test to do so.

Thanks in advance and really like your site...it appears to be very informative.

Chris

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
This site is designed for:
  • Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
* This NEC? Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
Sorry, we are not allowed to give advice to Do-It-Yourselfers.

I am closing this thread in accordance with the Forum Rules.

Feel free to PM one of the moderators if you feel this to be in error.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.