Receptacles in bathroom 3ft from tub

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
What doesn't make sense is to exclude space below the rim as that area, given height wise that is within the "normal" receptacle elevation not a countertop receptacle (except a shower stall), and also it would expose a bather to the same risks as would a receptacle above the rims elevation.

And hence 2023 it will probably be changed.... I think the intent was to include the space all along but it didn't read like that to some.

Here is a new graphic from Mike Holt about he receptacle bathroom issue.

I am still of the mind that this should NOT be a requirement. If a person can install a switch right next to tub then the receptacle that is gfci WR/TR and arc fault protected should not be an issue. We install these outside all the time in the rainy weather and person can still use them.

Had an issue come up where the rest room was only 4ft from the inside rim of the tub to the furthest wall heading out. But the sink/vanity is right beside the tub and the owner did not want the receptacle installed that far away from the sink, since they had an existing one there before.

I would like to see the paper work that showed people getting hurt from a gfci receptacle installed next to the tub over the years.

Attachments

• mikeholtbathreceptacle2020.jpeg
    mikeholtbathreceptacle2020.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Here is a new graphic from Mike Holt about he receptacle bathroom issue.

I am still of the mind that this should NOT be a requirement. If a person can install a switch right next to tub then the receptacle that is gfci WR/TR and arc fault protected should not be an issue. We install these outside all the time in the rainy weather and person can still use them.

Had an issue come up where the rest room was only 4ft from the inside rim of the tub to the furthest wall heading out. But the sink/vanity is right beside the tub and the owner did not want the receptacle installed that far away from the sink, since they had an existing one there before.

I would like to see the paper work that showed people getting hurt from a gfci receptacle installed next to the tub over the years.
For the record, bathrooms don't require AFCI protection.

For the record, bathrooms don't require AFCI protection.
I suppose this could be argued from a good stand point. However, they use 'similar areas' in the language, and I noticed that dormitories bathrooms are required to have AFCI. Not much difference in their bathrooms than a dwelling unit bathroom. Maybe this was an oversight by the code panel.

I would just go ahead and put in an afci for the bathroom just to avoid any unnecessary arguments.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I suppose this could be argued from a good stand point. However, they use 'similar areas' in the language, and I noticed that dormitories bathrooms are required to have AFCI. Not much difference in their bathrooms than a dwelling unit bathroom. Maybe this was an oversight by the code panel.

I would just go ahead and put in an afci for the bathroom just to avoid any unnecessary arguments.

If the cmp wanted a bathroom to be afci protected it would have included it in the list. A bathroom is not similar to any of the rooms mentioned.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
What doesn't make sense is to exclude space below the rim as that area, given height wise that is within the "normal" receptacle elevation not a countertop receptacle (except a shower stall), and also it would expose a bather to the same risks as would a receptacle above the rims elevation.
That is correct, but the language accepted in the 2020 code change did not address that issue. The 2023 change will correct that.
It is often said that it takes 3 code cycles to get a new rule correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.