Receptacles Required in Electrical Rooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky354

Is anyone aware of a code article requiring general purpose receptacles in an electrical room ? All I can find is the Illimination requirements of Art. 110.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The requirements for outlets in general, and receptacle outlets in particular, are given in part III of Article 210, starting at 210.50. For non-dwelling units, the requirements are minimal. There is no requirement for a receptacle in an electrical room, in part because there is no requirement for the existence of an electrical room.

That said, I will always put one near the door. If the building has an optional standby system, the receptacle (and the lights) in the main and auxiliary electrical rooms will be connected to that source.

Welcome to the forum.

raider1

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.:)

There is no NEC requirement for an electrical room to have a receptacle installed within it.

Chris

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Isn't it odd that there is a requirement for a receptacle within 25' of HVAC equipment, but no similar requirement for a receptacle to be available to service electrical equipment??

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Isn't it odd that there is a requirement for a receptacle within 25' of HVAC equipment

Thats so the AC guy doesn't take a rec with a pigtail attached and hook it up to the disco for power. (using the EGC as the grounded conductor)

renosteinke

Well, you want power available, and light, while you work on the electrical equipment .... but you also want the power off while you work.

Looks like the electric room needs candle holders and the electrician needs an 'egg beater' drill. :)

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Isn't it odd that there is a requirement for a receptacle within 25' of HVAC equipment, but no similar requirement for a receptacle to be available to service electrical equipment??

What do you use to service electrical equipment that needs 120v?

muskrat

Well, you want power available, and light, while you work on the electrical equipment .... but you also want the power off while you work.

Looks like the electric room needs candle holders and the electrician needs an 'egg beater' drill. :)

Or a LOOOOOONG EXTENSION CORD(gfci OF COURSE) TO REACH NEIGHBORS HOUSE

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Thats so the AC guy doesn't take a rec with a pigtail attached and hook it up to the disco for power. (using the EGC as the grounded conductor)

So what is the difference with electrcial equipment? Are the electricians supposed to be smart enough not to do this? Or maybe they assume electricians can safely connect a temp. receptacle into a disconnect?

Or maybe they are assuming you guys will just install a receptacle if you need one. That seems pretty lame.

What do you use to service electrical equipment that needs 120v?

I'm not sure: I guess test equipment, or electric drills, or lights. That type of thing.

What the heck do the HVAC guys have to plug in?? A tank of freon?? :)

It just seems odd that the NEC looks out for the other trades, yet seems to ignore the needs of all the electricians. The very guys that support them by buying their books.

Steve

sgunsel

AC guys need to use vacuum pumps and refrigerant recovery units fairly frequently. They may also need portable lighting to see what they are doing after the daylight fades.

But why not install a receptacle, required or not? I am always amazed at how much aggravation can be reduced by adding a few receptacles. NEC isn't about convenience.

I generally will get at least one convenience receptacle in the electrical room when I do plans. Makes no sense not to. Someone is going to have to do something at some point.

I think a lot of people leave them out because they assume that if an electrician is doing any work in the electrical room things are going to be shut down anyway.

btharmy

I just sent my apprentice out of the electric room today to plug my cordless battery charger into an empty furniture cube in the office. There are 3- 277/480v and 6- 120/208v panels in the room. Not one single 120v receptacle. Just seems silly to me. I almost installed one for free just to make life easier for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.