Receptacles under house

Status
Not open for further replies.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
And do you put your air conditioning on a de-thermostat? And use a de-heater to keep your refrigerator cold?
What people were questioning, I think, was your act of coining a word which does not exist in the language and doesnot seem to be needed. :)
There is a cooling stat and a heating stat. Sometimes they come combined, but not always.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
And do you put your air conditioning on a de-thermostat? And use a de-heater to keep your refrigerator cold?
What people were questioning, I think, was your act of coining a word which does not exist in the language and doesnot seem to be needed. :)

What about De Plane,,,, De Plane,,,,, ?? :)
Probably revealing my age with that one.....

JAP>

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........

dkidd

Occupation
PE
Grainger isn't the best authority. The call EMT conduit.

And Wikipedia doesn't have any entry for dehumidistat.

And the spell checker just choked on it too.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer

kwired

Electron manager
I honestly think a ventilator for such a space probably only needs to be maybe 200-300CFM at the most unless it is a huge area. An inline duct fan would be perfect and is pretty quiet.

If you just place a few circulation fans around the space you are not going to remove any significant humidity, you are just going to circulate air. If you pull air out you need to let air in somewhere. Old building, maybe has enough leaks you don't need to provide much if any makeup air though. If anything you maybe want humidistat at/near make up air inlet though. If outside air is higher humidity then inside air you don't really want to pull it in.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I honestly think a ventilator for such a space probably only needs to be maybe 200-300CFM at the most unless it is a huge area. An inline duct fan would be perfect and is pretty quiet.

If you just place a few circulation fans around the space you are not going to remove any significant humidity, you are just going to circulate air. If you pull air out you need to let air in somewhere. Old building, maybe has enough leaks you don't need to provide much if any makeup air though. If anything you maybe want humidistat at/near make up air inlet though. If outside air is higher humidity then inside air you don't really want to pull it in.
These days building codes require multiple air vents to the crawl space from the outside. But apparently nothing is causing an overall air movement through those vents.
If the moisture is the result of wet soil, then the other mitigation for moisture in the house would be a vapor barrier on top of the dirt.
I have also seen damp crawl spaces caused by plumbing leaks or by bad exterior drainage forcing runoff water under the house.

kwired

Electron manager
These days building codes require multiple air vents to the crawl space from the outside. But apparently nothing is causing an overall air movement through those vents.
If the moisture is the result of wet soil, then the other mitigation for moisture in the house would be a vapor barrier on top of the dirt.
I have also seen damp crawl spaces caused by plumbing leaks or by bad exterior drainage forcing runoff water under the house.
I agree and have seen things you mentioned before.

About 20-25 years my church built a new fellowship hall. It had wood floor system with a crawlspace. Within the first year they had a lot of humidity issues and installed a fan even though there was natural ventilation provided in original construction.

Once it got dried out they never really used the vent fan again. The real problem that no one wanted to face the facts about was there was a lot of rain early on during the construction and the crawlspace floor (dirt) was still wet from that.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I agree and have seen things you mentioned before.

About 20-25 years my church built a new fellowship hall. It had wood floor system with a crawlspace. Within the first year they had a lot of humidity issues and installed a fan even though there was natural ventilation provided in original construction.

Once it got dried out they never really used the vent fan again. The real problem that no one wanted to face the facts about was there was a lot of rain early on during the construction and the crawlspace floor (dirt) was still wet from that.
In our old home the water table was often just a couple feet down. We raised the house about a foot put a new foundation under it and filled in the hole that had been the cellar. Even then it was damp. We put heavy black plastic down lapping the seams and covering all dirt. Total difference. It was even usable for storage. No fans, no moisture.

JDB3

I have finally received the model # of the ventilation fans proposed to be put under the house. Tjernlund V2d What do you'll think about them? Seems that like mentioned before that on some days, they might just bring in more humidity than what they get rid of.

I kind of agree that the idea of putting a vapor barrier down to help keep the moisture from rising up, would be a bigger help :happyyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.