Recessed lights installed in plenum ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahualin

NEC 300.22(B) says "Where equipment or devices are installed and illumination is necessary to facilitate maintenance and repair, enclosed gasketed_type luminaires (fixtures) shall be permitted".

Does it mean the enclosed gasketed_type light fixture is permitted to be installed in plenum space? How about ceiling recessed gasketed_type 2x4 fluorescent light fixture, it is used to light space beneath the drop ceiling?

Thanks.

fc

Do you have a plenum used for environmental air as in 300.22 B or do you have 300.22 C other space used for environmental air?
If you are talking about 300.22B and a light is required for maintenance then yes inside the plenum. But you would not be able to use a 2x4 gasketed light to light space beneath the drop ceiling.

Last edited:

dahualin

The room is a meat preparation cooler with drop ceiling. The ceiling space is used to blow cooling air from one end of ceiling (evaporator located) to the other end of ceiling (linear diffuser). I am sure the ceiling is plenum used for environment. I was trying to use ceiling recessed gasketed - type 2x4 lights to light the cooler. But I am not sure if it meet NEC 300.22(B). thanks.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
dahualin said:
The room is a meat preparation cooler with drop ceiling. The ceiling space is used to blow cooling air from one end of ceiling (evaporator located) to the other end of ceiling (linear diffuser). I am sure the ceiling is plenum used for environment. I was trying to use ceiling recessed gasketed - type 2x4 lights to light the cooler. But I am not sure if it meet NEC 300.22(B). thanks.

I would read 300.22(C)(2). It seems with this article that the fixture must be listed for the use.

Status
Not open for further replies.