Recessed Meter Can???

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinnyrpb

Hello and Happy nnew year to all..

I was wondering what anyone thinks of a "buried" meter can. A contractor has poured concrete and completly enclosed a meter can which means it cannot be changed with chipping the concrete wall.(Accessible??) Is this leagal? Has anyone ever seen this before.

Vinny

South Florida

guesseral

Re: Recessed Meter Can???

Never see that! But if I am not mistaking meter cans have a UL listing for a surface mount application. Don't think being recessed should fly.

jimwalker

I not only seen it but did it.I did not want to see a riser pipe on my own house so recessed meter and riser was inside the wall.Looking back i probably did make a hard job if it ever goes bad.

hurk27

There are several areas that recess the meter can or combo meter/main/panel like California. I have seen this in Florida also and had to change a few out because they rotted out. I do believe the can will have to be UL listed for direct embedding in concrete also. But in areas where the POCO only protect's the primary line ahead of the transformer with a T15 fuse, even if in RMC I would not want the service riser in my walls. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.