Reciprocal Agreement between PA and NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

HotWire367

Does anyone know if NJ will honor a residential license from PA?
I have been licensed in PA for 5 yrs and live on the NJ border.
The NJ license would really help me as I am originally from there, and have many contacts.
If there is not a reciprocal agreement would NJ honor my 5yrs. licensure in PA and allow me to test out?
By that I mean do my five yrs licensed here count as the necessary requirements to qualify for the NJ test?

Thanks

mdshunk

There's no "PA license" anyhow. There's about a 1,000 local licenses (many of which will reciprocate), but no state license. I'm not sure what sort of license it is you think you have that you're hoping will reciprocate in NJ.

HotWire367

Marc, my "license" in the state of PA shows that I am qualified to pull a permit for up to a 3 family dwelling through the city of Allentown,PA. It is for residential electrical work. Please don't try and dumb down my license, as you refer to the fact that there are over 1,000 licenses in the state. I am quite aware of the honor system in PA. My real question was will NJ consider over 5 yrs licensed here qualify as "time served", in order to take the NJ test.

Thanks, Dave

HotWire367

Marc, somewhere in my files I have a paper showing who will honor my license. Of all places the state of Conn. will honor it. How Conneticut is related to a license here is beyond my grasp. But like you said, it is a crazy system!....:grin:

celtic

HotWire367 said:
My real question was will NJ consider over 5 yrs licensed here qualify as "time served", in order to take the NJ test.

NJ might accept your "time served" in other jurisdictions in order to be eligible to take the test:
Qualifications of Applicants

If you meet the qualifications, you might be eligible....but I do not know what your qualifications are or if the State will accept your qualifications.

IMHO, you would better off getting the answer from the State:
Inquiries or complaints about electrical contractors should be sent to:
Ms. Barbara A. Cook, Executive Director,
Board of Examiners of Electrical Contractors,
P.O. Box 45006, Newark, N.J. 07101,
(973) 504-6410.

More info here:
http://www.nj.gov/lps/ca/nonmedical/electrical.htm

HotWire367

Thanks Celtic,
I contacted the licensing board and I just have to apply to the board of examiners. Once they determine if I meet the qualifications, I should hopefully be able to take the test. Based on what I told the lady over the phone, I should be O.K........now I just have to set up a date and hopefully pass........:smile: .......Thanks for the info, very helpful.........Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.