Recommendation for Dimming System for 12V LED Fixtures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shujinko

I am on the design team for a waiting room renovation that will install some 12Vdc LED light panels in the ceiling. These 12Vdc LED light panels each have a UL Class 2 power supply 60W, 120VAC/12VDC. Can anyone recommend a good, cost effective, centralized dimming system for these 12Vdc LED light panels?

My issue is that in the NEC Table 11(B) Chapter 9 limits all Class 2 circuits power source (in this case the power supply) have a limited rating of 60W. This would limit any dimming module to be rated for 60W only as well.

I am a bit unfamiliar with a dimming system that would work with these 12Vdc fixtures, this is why I'm reaching out. Many Thanks.

Electric-Light

I am on the design team for a waiting room renovation that will install some 12Vdc LED light panels in the ceiling. These 12Vdc LED light panels each have a UL Class 2 power supply 60W, 120VAC/12VDC. Can anyone recommend a good, cost effective, centralized dimming system for these 12Vdc LED light panels?

My issue is that in the NEC Table 11(B) Chapter 9 limits all Class 2 circuits power source (in this case the power supply) have a limited rating of 60W. This would limit any dimming module to be rated for 60W only as well.

I am a bit unfamiliar with a dimming system that would work with these 12Vdc fixtures, this is why I'm reaching out. Many Thanks.

Options depend on number of fixtures, desire for independent channels(different zones) and re-configurability(ability to change dimming layouts electronically)

The simplest method controls the hot wire like a household dimmer. The next simplest uses a pair of control wires to LED ballasts.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

http://nlightcontrols.com/

i'd call them with what you need, and see if they have anything that might work.
it's a start. their tech support is pretty good. you are kinda out on the edge of
what is common.....

Shujinko

0-10v and DALI are probably going to be the longest lasting standards. Everything else is transitional in my opinion

Yes but is there a "centralized" 0-10V dimming system that would work with a 12VDC system, where the dimming modules and/or power supplies would be in a centralized panel?

Electric-Light

Yes but is there a "centralized" 0-10V dimming system that would work with a 12VDC system, where the dimming modules and/or power supplies would be in a centralized panel?
The LED ballast will regulate the output side to dim the output.
You would need fixtures with 0-10v dimming LED ballasts and they're fairly common. These have four input wires. Black and white for power, and grey and violet for dimming. These control wires can not share the conduit with AC power in order to maintain class 2 status.

The dimming section of dimmer does carry the actual power. It's just a tethered remote. You can have 50-100 fixtures per 0-10v dimmer switch.

SMHarman

Control4 0-10v has nice panelized din rail modules.

Another alternative is using DMX and DMX drivers to control the LED loads.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.