Recommended tool for RG-6 Quad termination

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Whats a good tool for terminating RG-6 quad coax and what type of connector?
Seems like most of the better tools are a lenghtwise compression type and it pushes the connector onto the coax.

dcspector

Tom, I use The Cable Pro LCCT S59/11 It works for compression type connectors RG59 thru RG11. The connectors I use for quad and standard RG6 are Digicon. The tool ranges in the $100.00 to $120.00 and will give you a trouble free connection.

NoVA Comms Power

tom baker said:
... Seems like most of the better tools are a lenghtwise compression type and it pushes the connector onto the coax ...
RG6 fittings are generally pushed-on to the stripped / prepared coax manually, and then the tool is used to compress a mechanical locking/sealing mechanism into place.

I'm very satisifed with this Paladin compression tool:http://www.paladin-tools.com/view_tool.php?id=118

used with these Thomas & Betts' Snap-N-Seal compression fittings: http://www-public.tnb.com/contractor/docs/snapnseal.pdf

Don't overlook the need for a good coax stripper to get consistent results; I use one of these: http://www.paladin-tools.com/view_category.php?id=220

Last edited:

stickboy1375

it1000.jpg

This is what I use, Thomas & Betts, Compression Tool for SNS Connectors,

Model #TH-IT1000 It will strip and install the fitting for you.. so you only need 1 tool. I would not use anything else... and I only use Compression fittings, but you have to buy a "O"ring if installing outdoors...

edamico11

stickboy

stickboy

That may be but,,

2006, Tony Awards I was the EIC (engineer in charge, also chief cook and bottle washer) for video, 5 minutes before "doors open" video projection screen stage left goes out. I run up the coral staircase, over the dimmer packs, through the lighting rig, over various spot operators and crawl under the 20' camera jib. to discover that the 'crimp on' connector for my Belden 8281 is faulty. Realizing that I have no time and no crimp tool I reach into my pocket and come up with a 'Twist on' connector. 20 seconds later image up....

It may not be industry standard,, but I will always carry some..

Smart $

Esteemed Member
dcspector said:
Tom, I use The Cable Pro LCCT S59/11 It works for compression type connectors RG59 thru RG11. The connectors I use for quad and standard RG6 are Digicon. The tool ranges in the $100.00 to $120.00 and will give you a trouble free connection.
I, too, use Digicon... though it's been years since I've done anything professionally. I don't believe the S series connectors and tools were available at that time. My radial compression tool seems to be somewhat "dated", as it is branded DIGICON by ANTEC, but I believe it is yet to be obsolete. I bought it for $100 approximately 10-12 years ago. The same compression tool is still being marketed, as are the connectors (dubbed "Type II"), by/through the Arris/TeleWire Supply.

One thing I did discover is the S series and the Type II have the same 360? radial crimp. Only difference is,
"In the Type II, the die that creates the ?swedge?is located in the
tool, while the ?S? series die is resident in the connector itself.
Additionally, the ?S? series connectors are color coded for
quick identification. Both connectors provide the ultimate
weather-tight termination with unbeatable performance and
reliability."​
Source: http://www.arrisi.com/product_catalog/_docs/_specsheet/040617-DigCntrs_5pg.pdf

I am of the impression the Type II conectors are now being color coded as well, though not as boldly. Offhand I would guess the Type II connectors to be lower priced.

FWIW, I've made thousands of terminations with the Type II system, mostly exterior for DBS satellite systems, and do not recall having any failures related to the terminations or connectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.