Red brass conduit for swimming pool light pools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray514

Hello, I am working on an existing swimming built years ago. The pool light conduits are made of red brass. I am looking for UL listed red brass conduit. I am also looking UL listed couplings and unions. I am having troubles looking for this. Anyone have a source or name of manufacturer? The conduit size is 1/2".

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Hello, I am working on an existing swimming built years ago. The pool light conduits are made of red brass. I am looking for UL listed red brass conduit. I am also looking UL listed couplings and unions. I am having troubles looking for this. Anyone have a source or name of manufacturer? The conduit size is 1/2".

Try SCP pool supply wholesaler.

Word of advice. If at all possible I would avoid a extension of the niche conduit due to potential leaks. Of course not always possible.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

i have about 8' in my shop... how much did you need? :p

i dunno if you are allowed to convert brass to pvc on existing installations,
and i'm too lazy to look it up, but if it were legal to do so, i'd get some 1/2" schedule 80, and a FA.
and some keytight pipe dope. find a place where you can interrupt and thread the existing brass. transition to pvc.
use purple primer and good pvc glue. i like christies red hot blue glue.

i just bonded my pool yesterday. overkill would be an appropriate word. i had all the stuff, and......
5/8" x 8 SS ground rod, burndy encasement listed hypress, and a tail from this goes over and picks
up the 1/2" brass where it stubs up from the pool light.

i've got a loop of #6 around the pool, picking up three existing bond wires, and hitting a second SS ground rod
by the pool equipment, with tails to all the appropriate stuff.

i meggered the forming shell to the bond loop, and it's showing 1 volt with 1KV applied.

gnd.jpg

Ray514

I purchased some from SCP and its pipe. This project is on a publi school with DSA inspections. They look at everything. I need to submit cut sheets for the materials I will be using. I think UL listed red brass conduit is not made. I think they only make red brass pipe. I called manufacturers and no one makes it. My electrical supply house is unable to locate. I am trying to find some documentation that would allow red brass pipe if that is what is used. Since the existing red brass is 1/2",
I am unable to convert to pvc. The light cord and the #8 bond would not be able to be pulled through, plus the light niches do not have a lug in the shell to attach to attach the bond wire. So I need to stick with the brass. I am goin to send an RFI to the engineer and have them tell me what materials I am allow to use. Since they are the AHJ of the project, they should be allowed to approve the materials on this project.
This should be interesting.

Fulthrotl

I purchased some from SCP and its pipe. This project is on a publi school with DSA inspections. They look at everything. I need to submit cut sheets for the materials I will be using. I think UL listed red brass conduit is not made. I think they only make red brass pipe. I called manufacturers and no one makes it. My electrical supply house is unable to locate. I am trying to find some documentation that would allow red brass pipe if that is what is used. Since the existing red brass is 1/2",
I am unable to convert to pvc. The light cord and the #8 bond would not be able to be pulled through, plus the light niches do not have a lug in the shell to attach to attach the bond wire. So I need to stick with the brass. I am goin to send an RFI to the engineer and have them tell me what materials I am allow to use. Since they are the AHJ of the project, they should be allowed to approve the materials on this project.
This should be interesting.

yeah. the irony is that you can get 12 volt LED listed pool lights that need none of the folderol.

the one that i bought from pentair to replace the oem
700 watt incandescent that was put in my pool in 1964,
puts out more light, sings and dances in seven languages,
and draws 24 watts. that is not a typo. the old one drew about
the same amount as the pool pump.

Fulthrotl

I purchased some from SCP and its pipe. This project is on a publi school with DSA inspections. They look at everything. I need to submit cut sheets for the materials I will be using. I think UL listed red brass conduit is not made. I think they only make red brass pipe.

the last time i saw brass pipe being run was 1984, the hotel meridian
in newport beach. the pool there is aluminum, and they specified brass pipe.
they were concerned about grounding on an aluminum tank full of attorneys,
hooked to 120 volts.

it wasn't ul listed. there was no ul listing on it then. it had largely been replaced
by pvc at that point.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
the last time i saw brass pipe being run was 1984, the hotel meridian
in newport beach. the pool there is aluminum, and they specified brass pipe.
they were concerned about grounding on an aluminum tank full of attorneys,
hooked to 120 volts.

it wasn't ul listed. there was no ul listing on it then. it had largely been replaced
by pvc at that point.
And if your boss only has a hand threader it can be a real joy to work with.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector

Wow, these must be really old fixtures as I have never seen anything but 1" on a wet niche. Sounds like they are line voltage? Up until about the early '70s we used brass pipe but they were always 1".

Ray514

I wanted to follow up on this post. No one makes UL listed red brass conduit, unions and couplings, but you can find red brass pipe and fittings.
So we transitioned the red brass conduit coming from the light niche to pvc conduit. The PVC conduit went to a PVC UL listed swimming pool junction box. We installed a DB rated ground pipe clamp from the brass pipe and attached a #8 solid bare wire and attached to the PVC swimming pool junction box. This installation was approved by the electrical engineer and was approved by DSA inspector.
Thanks for all the comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.