Redundant/ aluminum/ grounding/ bonding wire use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hospital grade mc has a redundant ground / electromagnetic interference reducer other than the ul listing and instructions for use says to clip it short. Is there an alternative that the code would deem necessary of what to do with it? Do you wrap it back clip it short or terminate it in with the grounds. Any help or thoughts would clear up some confusion for me thanks guys

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You just cut it off. I've found that folding it back can make the connector not fit very well.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The purpose of the strip is to effectively short the individual turns of the spiral sheath to each other, not to act as an an end-to-end conductor. It assures a low-impedance pathway during ground faults.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
If you are talking about MC-AP, then code requires that you install it per manufacturer's instructions.

Manufacturer's instructions say that you just clip off the bare conductor and use the proper connectors. Code does not require you to do anything else.

You are _permitted_ to run the bare conductor into the junction box and splice it just like any other conductor...with the caveat that it is aluminium and you need to use splices rated for aluminium conductors. No where does the code require this, and I can't think of a good reason to do this.

-Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.