refeeding an electrical main panel that has lost its utility feed from the power co. this was a 1950's installation.the orginal feed is 3 wire 120/240

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred H

building lost a leg ug 3-wire feed from the power co. The power co. wans the meter relocated to refeed the existing service. From this service which is about 50 feet from the new meter location.I want to put a new 200 amp breaker and enclosure and refeed the existing service in conduit either with 3 or 4 wires with out seperating all neutrals and grounds..The system will be better with the fuseable diconnect in front of the service. seperating neutrals and grounds through out the bldg. would be a hughe task..Are there any exceptions for existing situations like this
Thanks
Fred

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
A new service might trigger compliance with current code. Only your ahj knows for sure. However, if you have multiple bootleg grounds in you building it might be a good time to sort them out.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'm confused, why would you need to be "separating neutrals and grounds through out the bldg."

Fred H

I'm confused, why would you need to be "separating neutrals and grounds through out the bldg."
I shouldn't have to .Just as I feel that i shouldn't have to refeed the existing panel with 4 wire and split the neutral and grounds, as you know the panels in that era didn't allow enough room for this separation . The issue is the amount of room is not there for a new panel and all work was done in ridged conduit coming into the panel from the top and bottom. What we want to do is to slpice the load side conductors of the existing meter base that are feeding the main panel now.Simple easy and more protection than is existing now.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
So your saying with a new breaker at the Meterbase now your old panel becomes a feeder panel?

so put up the Meterbase and a disconnect. Label it emergency disconnect and feed the old panel.

Fred H

I shouldn't have to .Just as I feel that i shouldn't have to refeed the existing panel with 4 wire and split the neutral and grounds, as you know the panels in that era didn't allow enough room for this separation . The issue is the amount of room is not there for a new panel and all work was done in ridged conduit coming into the panel from the top and bottom. What we want to do is to slpice the load side conductors of the existing meter base that are feeding the main panel now.Simple easy and more protection than is existing now.

So your saying with a new breaker at the Meterbase now your old panel becomes a feeder panel?

so put up the Meterbase and a disconnect. Label it emergency disconnect and feed the old panel.
Thats what have proposed to the inspector but...he wants a code number to go along with that.What I didn't do was call the new disconnect an emergency disconnect

retirede

Thats what have proposed to the inspector but...he wants a code number to go along with that.What I didn't do was call the new disconnect an emergency disconnect

It should be his responsibility to provide you with a code reference why you can’t do what you propose, not the other way around!

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Tell him to read 230.85 in the 2020 and say your getting ready for it.
Install the new disconnect and label it “emergency disconnect. Not service equipment”
Then three wire to existing service panel.

Fred H

Tell him to read 230.85 in the 2020 and say your getting ready for it.
Install the new disconnect and label it “emergency disconnect. Not service equipment”
Then three wire to existing service panel.
Sorry for the delay,
Thank you so much for the info. ill read the code and let you know
Fred

Status
Not open for further replies.