Refeeding and splicing existing wires that are in concrete encase conduit

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
I am upgrading the electrical room and removing existing service switches. The existing service switches feed concrete encased conduits below.

I will refeed the concrete encased conduits with a new switchboard with service switches.

I want to put the switchboard behind the conduits where the conduits sweep up from the concrete. The problem is the conduits will impede the clearance of the switchboard.

Is there any easy way to get rid of the sweep and just make a handhole? How hard would it be to dig and make a underground splice box to reconnect all the wiring?

1708576338807.png

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
Do you know which direction they turn as it compares to where you wish they emerged?
Don’t know unfortunately. The electrician and I were both scratching our head today trying to figure out and trace where it was going.

There are 9 conduits underground 3 per service switch

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You may have to chop up some concrete just to see.

If you commit to doing so, you can reroute as needed.

Do you have enough headroom to build up the floor?

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
You may have to chop up some concrete.

Do you have enough headroom to build up the floor?
I want to avoid building up the floor. Even if I did build up the floor I would still have to reconnect the feeders in the concrete encase conduit and splice them.

How does one chop concrete like this? I never seen it done to be honest

How would someone know how deep to go? Because they might accidentally cut the conduit underground

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Don’t know unfortunately. The electrician and I were both scratching our head today trying to figure out and trace where it was going.

There are 9 conduits underground 3 per service switch
An underground tracer will locate each. Like the greenlee 501

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If those old RMC's have been in the earth for a long time don't be surprised if you dig them up and find not much left of the old metal. IMO the only way to estimate and design this is to start with removing a small section of the floor to see what you're dealing with.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
If those old RMC's have been in the earth for a long time don't be surprised if you dig them up and find not much left of the old metal. IMO the only way to estimate and design this is to start with removing a small section of the floor to see what you're dealing with.

I think they are 60 years old. How long do conduits underground last?

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
If I want to get rid of those sweeps, do I need a floor mount splice box in handhole?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If I want to get rid of those sweeps, do I need a floor mount splice box in handhole?
That would be a good solution. Cut the elbows off and nipple into a pull box. From there continue underground to the new location.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
That would be a good solution. Cut the elbows off and nipple into a pull box. From there continue underground to the new location.
What kind of box handhole should I get? I don’t think it’s an off the shelf product based on how the existing conduits are laid out

If I have the handhole in front of the new switchboard, would that be a 110.26 issue? Reason I ask is because if someone removed the handhole cover, then there will be a giant opening in front of the new switchboard

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
Why not put a pull box on the floor on top of the pipes and mount your switchboard on top of the pull box?
Wouldn’t that violate 110.26, what’s the max height that a switchboard can be off the floor?

See infinity’s post. But i may consider this option if i exhaust my options

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Wouldn’t that violate 110.26, what’s the max height that a switchboard can be off the floor?

See infinity’s post. But i may consider this option if i exhaust my options
Switchboards can be any height you want, as long as an appropriate work platform is constructed in front of them. You may be thinking of the maximum height to an OCPD handle of 6'7".

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
Switchboards can be any height you want, as long as an appropriate work platform is constructed in front of them. You may be thinking of the maximum height to an OCPD handle of 6'7".
I don’t think a platform is suitable for this place. It’s also an obstruction of egress, someone can trip and fall

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
In their existing location, and if they stay, how far in front of the switchboard will these conduits be?
About 2 feet. In NYC, if service is 1000kVA or more, service switchboard with service disconnect needs to have 5 feet of clearance