Refrigerator/gfci clarification

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobsond

Can I get a Refrigerator/gfci clarification from the pros. I am a low voltage guy and an appliance repair shop. We all know about the Refrigerator/Freezer and gfci issues.For an intermittent trip I would like to repair the appliance if it is the problem but an educated "shot gun" approach is what you have to do sometimes.There is no easy test because the circuits involved cant be tested at the plug.The circuits have to be energized by a thermostat a timer and now control boards.The cost to throw parts at a problem and a wait and see approach is not desirable for me and not economical for my customer.What is the current code for the refrigerator? I know there was an exception for a time but that may have changed.I am having a discussion with a local electrician about and issue with a 3yr old fridge intermittent trip about every week or 3.I hope he can install a single oullet behind the fridge,but for now he has just changed the GFCI and we are in a waiting mode for the customer to call back. We are in ND and Im not sure what year code we are under.

iwire

Staff member
If a refrigerator trips a GFCI the refrigerator needs to be repaired or disposed of.

There are no exceptions for appliances in areas that require GFCI protection.

The fact it may be difficult to troubleshoot the appliance is not a concern of the NEC.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Can I get a Refrigerator/gfci clarification from the pros. I am a low voltage guy and an appliance repair shop. We all know about the Refrigerator/Freezer and gfci issues.For an intermittent trip I would like to repair the appliance if it is the problem but an educated "shot gun" approach is what you have to do sometimes.There is no easy test because the circuits involved cant be tested at the plug.The circuits have to be energized by a thermostat a timer and now control boards.The cost to throw parts at a problem and a wait and see approach is not desirable for me and not economical for my customer.What is the current code for the refrigerator? I know there was an exception for a time but that may have changed.I am having a discussion with a local electrician about and issue with a 3yr old fridge intermittent trip about every week or 3.I hope he can install a single oullet behind the fridge,but for now he has just changed the GFCI and we are in a waiting mode for the customer to call back. We are in ND and Im not sure what year code we are under.
Refrigerator is not required to be on a GFCI

iwire

Staff member
jacobsond

To determine if a GFCI is needed we need to know if it is in a home or in a business and we need to know where it is located in the home or building.

GFCI

GFCI

If the Frig or Freezer is in a garage or unfinished area it must be GFCI'd any exemption was taken out with the 2011 code. What we do is install a GFCI with audible alarm. If the GFCI trips it emits a fairly loud annoying tone. That way the homeowner will know that the Frig is not working and their food will not rot.

Hendrix

If the fridge is in the kitchen, on it's own circuit, and the recept. is in back of it, I don't see it having to have GFCI protection.

kwired

Electron manager
If the Frig or Freezer is in a garage or unfinished area it must be GFCI'd any exemption was taken out with the 2011 code. What we do is install a GFCI with audible alarm. If the GFCI trips it emits a fairly loud annoying tone. That way the homeowner will know that the Frig is not working and their food will not rot.

Exemptions were removed at least in 2008 NEC and maybe even was the 2005.

If the fridge is in the kitchen, on it's own circuit, and the recept. is in back of it, I don't see it having to have GFCI protection.
True for dwelling unit kitchens. Commercial kitchens all 15/20 amp 125 volt receptacles need GFCI protection regardless of what they supply or where located in the kitchen.

kwired

Electron manager

Good chance the fault is in the compressor circuit or in the defrost heater circuit, I have seen failed "glowing" connections that developed a ground fault. Check for these items first, and I bet you find the problem fairly easy most of the time.

jacobsond

The fridge is residential kitchen not sure how far the sink is from it. The outlet for the fridge is on the counter top circuit so it is not a dedicated circuit.The house construction is "new" being only 3 or 4 yrs old.So now we can discuss why the original electrician didn't put the fridge on its own circuit but where will that get us.I am well aware that the NEC only cares about the code not consequences in trying to solve an issue.Repairing a defrost system on a fridge is fairly simple. Replacing a compressor is not. The cost to replace a compressor is high and not economical for most fridges. IMHO a 3 wire outlet with a grounded cabinet and compressor and no GFCI would be as safe as a 4 wire range with the case grounded. There is no GFCI needed for the range now is there? Im just a low volt and an appliance service man trying to solve a problem and follow the code. If someone can find the current code reference so I can print it out for future reference that would be great in helping me discuss this issue with my customers.

kwired

Electron manager
The fridge is residential kitchen not sure how far the sink is from it. The outlet for the fridge is on the counter top circuit so it is not a dedicated circuit.The house construction is "new" being only 3 or 4 yrs old.So now we can discuss why the original electrician didn't put the fridge on its own circuit but where will that get us.I am well aware that the NEC only cares about the code not consequences in trying to solve an issue.Repairing a defrost system on a fridge is fairly simple. Replacing a compressor is not. The cost to replace a compressor is high and not economical for most fridges. IMHO a 3 wire outlet with a grounded cabinet and compressor and no GFCI would be as safe as a 4 wire range with the case grounded. There is no GFCI needed for the range now is there? Im just a low volt and an appliance service man trying to solve a problem and follow the code. If someone can find the current code reference so I can print it out for future reference that would be great in helping me discuss this issue with my customers.

If you can assure nobody ever removes the grounding pin from 15 and 20 amp 125 volt cord caps we possibly wouldn't require GFCI in some cases where we do. Broken or missing EGC pin means during a fault condition the case of the appliance becomes energized, GFCI is just an attempt to save a few lives if this happens.

How many times have you found a missing grounding pin on 15 and 20 amp cord caps?

How many times have you found a missing grounding pin on other than 15 or 20 amp cord caps?

Appliances with other than 15 or 20 amp cord caps do not have much tendency to lose equipment grounding connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.