Refrigerator Recep GFI Protected Manufacturer's "not recommended"

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
or force the manufacturers to improve their products. Just my 2 cents worth.
It's funny how GFCI's have been on construction cites for decades now and we use drill motors, table saws, core drills, circular saws, etc.... with no problems but certain appliance manufactures can't get it right.

Roger

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It's funny how GFCI's have been on construction cites for decades now and we use drill motors, table saws, core drills, circular saws, etc.... with no problems but certain appliance manufactures can't get it right.

Roger
I agree Roger. After my last post and answer to Kwire I did some research and found how much the language changed over the last 4 Code cycles :

2008 NEC

210.8 Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection for Personnel.
(6) Kitchens — where the receptacles are installed to serve the countertop surfaces
(No mention of sinks)

2011 NEC

(6) Kitchens — where the receptacles are installed to serve the countertop surfaces
(7) Sinks — located in areas other than kitchens where receptacles are installed within 1.8 m (6 ft) from the outside edge of the sink.

2014 NEC

(7) Sinks — where receptacles are installed within 1.8 m (6 ft) from the outside edge of the sink.

2017 NEC

210.8 Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection for Personnel. Ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel
shall be provided as required in 210.8(A) through (E). The ground-fault circuit interrupter shall be installed in a readily accessible location.
(7) Sinks — where receptacles are installed within 1.8 m (6 ft) from the top inside edge of the bowl of the sink
Should we be anticipating any more language changes in the 2020 NEC ?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I thought that maybe NJ had modified the GFCI requirements for refrigerator receptacles but they have not. They did remove the NEC AFCI requirement for kitchens.

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired

Roger

But those refrigerators are operating about 8700 hours a year ... I doubt much of what you list operate 870 hours in their life. I don't know where the current paths develop, but my own experience is that equipment less than 5 years old doesn't have problems.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
But those refrigerators are operating about 8700 hours a year ...
And when they quit operating correctly (tripping a GFCI device for example) it's time to buy a new one or have the old one repaired.

Roger

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Refrigerator that is fairly full and loses power - stays cold for several hours if nobody opens the door.

Opening the door occasionally for short periods of time doesn't make much difference as long as you don't add warm things to the fridge. Most of the heat inertia in a fridge is stored in the walls and contents. Air has a very low specific heat.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Yep. The more full a refrigerator is, the longer it will stay cold; freezer for 24 hours easily.

kwired

Electron manager
Based on what the vast majority have posted here, I guess I stand corrected. I haven't done too much in the area of new residential construction in years - mostly remodel. To date I have not failed an inspection because I didn't put the refer on a GFCI protected circuit. That doesn't mean I did the right thing or maybe that the EI didn't pick up on it.

As many others have voiced their disapproving opinions regarding AFCI's in this Forum let me state mine on this subject. I think it's a bad idea to put a refer on a GFCI protected circuit. We now have to put DW's on GFCI circuits but if the DW fails the dishes didn't get washed - NO BIG DEAL. But if the refer fails due to a GFCI problem you lose your food. I can state, without a doubt, that HO's are not going to put up with this. If one of us EI's don't change out the GFCI protection they'll get Joe Handyman to make the change or do it themselves. I think the CMP's need to revisit this requirement or force the manufacturers to improve their products. Just my 2 cents worth.
I don't necessarily agree that fridge receptacle within 6 feet of kitchen sink absolutely needs GFCI as long as it is behind the fridge, but do think a fridge in a garage or unfinished basement is very good idea to have on GFCI. Been called out a few times where an appliance repair guy said to call an electrician, nothing wrong with the fridge/freezer, I come out and have to find the component that is faulting to prove the GFCI is just doing what it is supposed to do. Same problem with a unit that has broken off EGC pin on the cord or plugged into a 2 to three wire "cheater" just shocks people when they touch it in those instances.

The requirement to put dishwashers on GFCI's I completely disagree with. The reason they decided to put that in there should have started product recalls and not code to help get manufacturers off the hook.

Opening the door occasionally for short periods of time doesn't make much difference as long as you don't add warm things to the fridge. Most of the heat inertia in a fridge is stored in the walls and contents. Air has a very low specific heat.
right, but if you don't open it at all it stays cold even longer

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The requirement to put dishwashers on GFCI's I completely disagree with. The reason they decided to put that in there should have started product recalls and not code to help get manufacturers off the hook.
That's it in a nut shell !!!:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.