refrigerator trips gfci breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
As already stated a GFCI will not necessarily prevent a shock but hopefully it will keep it short in duration.

Roger

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
The only approved way to test a GFCI is the onboard test button, a plug in analyser is a convenience but will not work on a two wire GFCI. If an inspector turned down a job because his plug in tester didn't trip a GFCI he needs some educating.

Roger
with all do respect, then whats the point of a GFI Test button on a plug tester.

kwired

Electron manager
If the receptacle is in a location that requires GFCI protection you still need GFCI protection whether it is a dedicated circuit with one outlet or not. Those exceptions for dedicated receptacles went away some time ago and I don't think any states are that far behind on code cycle they are using.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
with all do respect, then whats the point of a GFI Test button on a plug tester.
They work on three wire circuits fine but as with most tools they have their place and limitations. Search the forums for past threads dealing with GFCI testers and two wire circuits for more discussions on the matter .

Roger

kwired

Electron manager
A convenience. If it won't trip then the test button on the device definitely should be depressed to see if it trips.

Most newer GFCI receptacles do lock themselves out if they no longer are functioning, but I have seen some that possibly can still let power through if they are still "set" they just won't "reset" if no longer functioning properly.

Also works great to plug into downstream protected receptacle and press button to see if it trips the upstream device, though not absolutely needed to verify that either.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I guess my concern would be if a frig has a leaking/stray voltage to the chassis from a current carrying neutral would the gfi detect that, being that the neutral and ground could have a potential difference. In other words a bare footed person on tile or concrete floor touches the metal frame with the reference of the current carrying neutral could it seek out a path of least resistance through the persons feet. I could be wrong.
Any leakage that causes an imbalance of 4-6 ma should trip the GFCI.
Did you buy one? Now you know.

Another C10

Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
They work on three wire circuits fine but as with most tools they have their place and limitations. Search the forums for past threads dealing with GFCI testers and two wire circuits for more discussions on the matter .

Roger
Roger I don't have an argument with any of this, I was simply answering a question on post #1. Thank you.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
If the receptacle is in a location that requires GFCI protection you still need GFCI protection whether it is a dedicated circuit with one outlet or not.
Ok, I guess if it’s within 6’ of a sink or somewhere like that.
for the most part though, I put all refrigerators and freezers on dedicated receptacles.

edit... code change I forgot about... garages and unfinished basements..
got caught on that one a few years back.

Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Roger I don't have an argument with any of this, I was simply answering a question on post #1. Thank you.
I didn't t think you did I was just making a point against an inspector that would use a tool outside it's capability and turn down a proper installation because of it.

Roger

Another C10

Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
I'd say we are all pretty well educated of the basic science of electricity, As far a GFI tripping from a Frig being plugged in whether at idle or during cycle its probably from more of a fault current rather than current overload. chances are the electrical parts below are very dirty creating all kinds of flow paths. The filter concept could very well be an adapter without the ground allowing for the GFI to not trip, an easy quick field test I'd perform would be remove the GFI from the wall keeping it connected ,remove the ground and re plug in the Frig, if it holds then its probably tripping from a fault to ground. Just a though ..

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
easy quick field test I'd perform would be remove the GFI from the wall keeping it connected ,remove the ground and re plug in the Frig, if it holds then its probably tripping from a fault to ground. Just a though ..
Sorry but it would still trip if current was flowing anywhere besides the grounded and ungrounded conductors. IOWs, if current out added to current in doesn't equal zero the GFCI sees problem.

Roger

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research

The problem is that the test button on the adapter cannot function in the following situation where the GFCI is functioning perfectly and installed correctly:

If the GFCI is installed on an old _ungrounded_ circuit, then the ground pin is not connected to anything.

The plug in tester functions by allowing a limited amount of current to pass from the 'hot' contact of the receptacle, through a resistor to the ground contact, bypassing the return to the neutral contact. This results in an imbalance current that the GFCI detects.

If the ground contact is floating, then this current cannot flow. No imbalance current, no trip. If the plug in tester is 'smart' (I don't know if any are) then it should report that the test is invalid rather than reporting that the GFCI is faulty. To use a plug in device to test the GFCI you must have a reliable ground connection. (Hmm, do any such test devices come with a clip on ground lead???)

The internal circuitry of the GFCI has access to both the 'downstream' and the 'upstream' supply conductors, so the necessary imbalance current can be provided by connecting a resistor between upstream hot and downstream neutral, without requiring contact with the EGC.

-Jon

Another C10

Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
Sorry but it would still trip if current was flowing anywhere besides the grounded and ungrounded conductors. IOWs, if current out added to current in doesn't equal zero the GFCI sees problem.

Roger
A customer's refrigerator was tripping a brand new gfci breaker
Can we agree on this, that the GFI has no issue unless the refrigerator is plugged in. , Plug in a drill motor see if it still trips, if so change the NEW Gfi, then go from there. This is becoming a frustrating topic. I just now noticed were talking about a breaker not an outlet ..

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Plug it into a different preexisting receptacle that's not GFCI protected that won't involve an extension cord OR tell the HO the GFCI circuit is good, the refrigerator has an issue with it fix or replace it. I'm done.

Status
Not open for further replies.