Regarding Powerplants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Powerdawg

Hello,

I'm curious how some of you more seasoned professionals interpret the NEC rules as they apply to powerplants. We are a combined cycle generating plant and are having lively discussions about whether or not the ancillary buildings located in the fenced in property would need to abide by, specifically, the rules called out in 110.26. The topic of discussion is taking place for voltages under 600v, but I would love to hear your thoughts as these rules apply to all voltages. Thanks in advance for your time.

aja21

Hello,

I'm curious how some of you more seasoned professionals interpret the NEC rules as they apply to powerplants. We are a combined cycle generating plant and are having lively discussions about whether or not the ancillary buildings located in the fenced in property would need to abide by, specifically, the rules called out in 110.26. The topic of discussion is taking place for voltages under 600v, but I would love to hear your thoughts as these rules apply to all voltages. Thanks in advance for your time.

In our hydro plants, if it's on the premises of the generating facilities then it is not strictly bound by the nec rules, however, I would be willing to bet that the requirements of 110.26 would also be called for by the nesc or similar requirement. I don't have the nesc in front of me though.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I think that the deregulation of the power utility industry makes this a difficult issue. It is my opinion that once the regulated utility transfers the generation assets to an unregulated company, the NEC applies to the generation plant.

aja21

I think that the deregulation of the power utility industry makes this a difficult issue. It is my opinion that once the regulated utility transfers the generation assets to an unregulated company, the NEC applies to the generation plant.
I agree with you to the extent of "that which doesn't directly involve generation or distribution of electricity." For all else I think the nesc does a fine job.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I agree with you to the extent of "that which doesn't directly involve generation or distribution of electricity." For all else I think the nesc does a fine job.
It is my opinion that generation and distribution not owned by a regulated public utility is subject to the rules found in the NEC.

charlie

This is one of the FPNs that is really important.

90.2(B) Not Covered. This Code does not cover the following:
(5) Installations under the exclusive control of an electric utility where such installations
c. Are on property owned or leased by the electric utility for the purpose of communications, metering, generation, control, transformation, transmission, or distribution of electric energy.

FPN to (4) and (5): Examples of utilities may include those entities that are typically designated or recognized by governmental law or regulation by public service/utility commissions and that install, operate, and maintain electric supply (such as generation, transmission, or distribution systems) or communication systems (such as telephone, CATV, Internet, satellite, or data services). Utilities may be subject to compliance with codes and standards covering their regulated activities as adopted under governmental law or regulation. Additional information can be found through consultation with the appropriate governmental bodies, such as state regulatory commissions, the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, and the Federal Communications Commission.

It is in the purview of the local governmental agencies to grant IPPs (independent power producers) utility status. Some IPPs enjoy the same rights as public utilities. :)

richxtlc

I believe that if a building has nothing to do with the actual generation, transmission or distribution it falls under the jurisdiction of the NEC. Most combined cycle plants have their control room in a building located away from the generation and transmission equipment. This building also contains the offices of the facility, but because it houses the control room it is subject to the NESC. If it was just an office structure not connected to any of the building associated with generation and transmission then it is subject to the NEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.