Rehab Hospital -- or I can't go anywhere....

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmtjfw

A week ago Thursday my wife fell and injured her foot. She has had MS since 1964 and in the past 3 years has fallen 3 times injuring one or another foot. This time just bruised. Last time orthopedic surgery, screws, pins ..., and the first time a walking cast.

Anyway Friday we got her admitted to a rehab hospital for physical therapy and to attend to her various needs until she is "up and about" which is in her case is pretty limited.

So, this evening I was visiting her, sitting in a chair by her bed and noticed a neutral wire drooping under the receptacle, oxygen, vacuum, etc. multibox on the wall by the other (currently vacant) bed.

When the nurse came in I asked him to get the night manager to come by. Eventually she came in and I asked her to sit in the chair and look at the wall where my penlight illuminated it. I explained that the white wire was part of the electrical wiring and needed to be in the box, not pinched between it and the wall. I further explained that proper grounding was very important for patient safety. Finally I said that I was sure they could get it fixed by close-of-business Monday. She assured me that that would happen.

About halfway through my talk, my wife interrupted and said you should know he is a master electrician.

The supervisor said it was pretty clear.

My main concern was that if the insulation was broken on the neutral there could be a locally raised voltage grounding condition and the possibility of different potentials on grounds in the area.

There was no invasive electrical equipment in use, so I didn't get hyper.

Last edited:

fmtjfw

My wife told me the electrician came in yesterday and fixed the drooping neutral. She said he thought it had been that way since the building was built. I was up there today and the place the wire drooped was without paint. At least the painter didn't paint it which would have made it harder to spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.