Relabel Screw Lamp Holder Fixture Maximum Wattage for Energy Code Compliance

Status
Not open for further replies.

arenddr

New User
Has anyone had experience with asking a fixture manufacturer or contractor to relabel the maximum wattage for a screw lamp holder type fixture to a wattage less than the standard maximum wattage? We constantly run into projects where the architect wants to use a decorative (or cheap) fixture that is only available with screw in lamp holders. However, with the current energy codes, it is nearly impossible to use these on projects. Even if LED lamps are used, the energy code states the fixture wattage must be the maximum labeled wattage on the fixture.
From my research, it does not appear this is a common practice. However, I feel like it would be an easy thing for the manufacturers to put a 20W maximum label on a fixture instead of a 100W maximum. Since the label is reducing the maximum wattage, there should not be any safety issues.
Any thoughts on this?
Thanks

kwired

Electron manager
My opinion is that it is the designer's problem if they don't specify something that will pass. If you design build then you are the designer, otherwise if someone else is designing, then they need to be held liable for such things, part of their job is to design to meet codes.

dema

Labeling for reduced wattage

Labeling for reduced wattage

Yes. You ARE allowed to do this. Also, some manufacturers now have cutcheets showing different A19 type bases that are labeled for lower wattages. This is okay in Indiana with Ashrae 2007. I imagine from what I've heard that it has been kept, but you should check for your jurisdiction. In 2007 it is 90.1 9.1.4. a.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Has anyone had experience with asking a fixture manufacturer or contractor to relabel the maximum wattage for a screw lamp holder type fixture to a wattage less than the standard maximum wattage? We constantly run into projects where the architect wants to use a decorative (or cheap) fixture that is only available with screw in lamp holders. However, with the current energy codes, it is nearly impossible to use these on projects. Even if LED lamps are used, the energy code states the fixture wattage must be the maximum labeled wattage on the fixture.
From my research, it does not appear this is a common practice. However, I feel like it would be an easy thing for the manufacturers to put a 20W maximum label on a fixture instead of a 100W maximum. Since the label is reducing the maximum wattage, there should not be any safety issues.
Any thoughts on this?
Thanks

then you have identical fixtures with different maximums.
so, you have a different sku number, and different product flows.

lighting folk will reduce the maximum wattage IMMEDIATELY upon
discovering that people don't buy their stuff any more, 'cause they
can't use it.

i don't see it happening before then.

california is worse. you've got to certify the installation. electrical engineers
specify stuff that won't work all the time... it won't pass T24:2013 as drawn.

it goes thru plan check, a permit gets issued, and off they go. it gets to final,
'cause nobody bothered to get a guy to certify it before they hit final, and the
inspector said "where is your lighting certification?" no cert, no final.

then, they call up in a panic, needing a certification RIGHT NOW, and find out
that what they installed won't pass.

BUT WE HAVE PERMITTED DRAWINGS!

yes, you do. it still won't pass.

WHAT DO WE DO NOW?

go back to square one. get a set of drawings done that will pass, get them reapproved,
make the install match them, and call for certification again. have a nice day.

edit:
it's a lot like getting a LEED certification. you may gain a point here, but lose two of them over there.
let's say you use a light fixture in offices that has very low draw. low enough that you are exempt from
daylight harvesting requirements.

the controls for a small office that gets pushed into daylight harvesting can be $800 more than simple
occupancy sensors, per office. thats a fair bit more than the three lights you put in there, to save $200.

it's a balancing act, between mandated watts per square foot allowed, lightng type, and lighing control costs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.