relationship between tons of cooling and kW

Status
Not open for further replies.

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
I'm looking at a Filtrine water cooled chiller with Cooling Capacity of 265,000 BTU/Hr's and looking to find the electrical load.

The FLA is 75A. Ok - so 75A x 480 x 1.73 gives 62kW.

But here's what's concerning me. 265,000 divided by 12000 gives tons of 22

Shouldn't Ton's be approximately equal to kW for a water cooled chiller system?

What am I missing?

Please post a photo of the nameplate and a link to the Filtrine COP vs inlet and outlet temperatures. That will enable someone to answer your questions.
Your tons Approximately = kW if VERY rough approximation, but is close for a COP of 3.5.

Most posteres are missing the vapor compression cycle aspect of the chiller.
Sahib did get it right, but again, only approximately unless we know all the temperature factors. A set of Mollier diagrams of the chiller would be helpful. The Filtrine web site just said to contact them, way past the pay rate for internet blather. :ashamed:

Sahib

Please post a photo of the nameplate and a link to the Filtrine COP vs inlet and outlet temperatures. That will enable someone to answer your questions.
Your tons Approximately = kW if VERY rough approximation, but is close for a COP of 3.5.

Most posteres are missing the vapor compression cycle aspect of the chiller.
Sahib did get it right, but again, only approximately unless we know all the temperature factors. A set of Mollier diagrams of the chiller would be helpful. The Filtrine web site just said to contact them, way past the pay rate for internet blather. :ashamed:
Yes, more details are required: if manufacturer used energy efficient compressor motor, kW/ton of the motor would be less than 1kW/ton.

Status
Not open for further replies.