Relocating electrical panels to different location

Status
Not open for further replies.

anbm

We remove the wall (in the back of 5 electrical panels in picture) and relocate those five panels to a different location, roughly 10 feet from current location, what're the best options (cost saving, labor) to re-feed the branch circuits (conduits exit below wireway) from new panel location?

Cut slab and extend conduits to new location? Abandon conduits and run new conduits overhead?

Are there any UL field listing for relocated panels? Thank you.

01.PNG

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
My comment probably won't be of much use to you, but whoever wants that wall removed better have a really, really good reason for doing so. Some people have no clue of what's involved and think it's just like moving furniture. This isn't going to be cheap or easy and is going to result in considerable down time.

Probably no reason you can't re-use the panels but that's the least of your problem.

-Hal

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
Cut slab and extend conduits to new location? Abandon conduits and run new conduits overhead?

The least expensive approach to all those underground circuits is saw cut in some sort of approved traffic rated low profile wire way then reroute, many many splices. It would be nice to see the proposed floor plan.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Are those conduits run within the concrete deck or do they stub up from the floor below?

anbm

The least expensive approach to all those underground circuits is saw cut in some sort of approved traffic rated low profile wire way then reroute, many many splices. It would be nice to see the proposed floor plan.
Can the box recess in floor to avoid people people tripping?

drktmplr12

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
someone who has no clue what the implications are is throwing around ideas

really rethink deleting that wall and the value it adds

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
He means, is it slab or second floor... i assume 1st floor.
Given that it's a CMU wall, I would say this is first floor or maybe even a basement.

As others have said, your only options are;
1. Cut and jackhammer out all of the concrete where the conduits are and put in a junction box that is inset into the concrete. That J-box must remain accessible though, so no hiding it under a new floor.

2. Remove or abandon all of that conduit and run new circuits from their existing destinations in some new route that ends up at the new panel location.

3. Take the booze or weed away from the person who wants this and when they sober up, convince them that this is foolishness. Some people have more money than sense...

I am going through that concept right now with someone who wants "A VFD with a battery that will keep my 300HP pump motor running for up to 6 hours if the utility loses power and the generator runs out of fuel. Money is no object." Not wanting to waste a lot of time, I quoted him my back-of-the-napkin estimate of $500k and apparently money IS an object...

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
I am going through that concept right now with someone who wants "A VFD with a battery that will keep my 300HP pump motor running for up to 6 hours if the utility loses power and the generator runs out of fuel. Money is no object." Not wanting to waste a lot of time, I quoted him my back-of-the-napkin estimate of $500k and apparently money IS an object...
Wow, you quoted him a cheap price for that.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Wow, you quoted him a cheap price for that.
Meh, I was hoping to change his mind and I did. I never really looked into it, I was going by gut, but based on SOME stuff I have done for much much smaller projects, then scaled it up in my head. Had he told me to go ahead, I would have said it was subject to real numbers.

anbm

Given that it's a CMU wall, I would say this is first floor or maybe even a basement.

As others have said, your only options are;
1. Cut and jackhammer out all of the concrete where the conduits are and put in a junction box that is inset into the concrete. That J-box must remain accessible though, so no hiding it under a new floor.

2. Remove or abandon all of that conduit and run new circuits from their existing destinations in some new route that ends up at the new panel location.

3. Take the booze or weed away from the person who wants this and when they sober up, convince them that this is foolishness. Some people have more money than sense...

This is electrical room - ground level. There is an existing UPS located in front of those panels now ... and they want to replace with a larger size UPS. To meet the clearance per NEC, those panels and the wall need to be shifted approximate 3-4 feet further. There is no room to install new UPS elsewhere. They are OK to remove the wall and build new one. That is the story!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Oh, ground level.
So the conduits all are run within the slab. There are a few ways to do this first, after you demo everything you would need to pull out all of the wire and chop out the conduit elbows until you get to a straight section of raceway. Then you would need to extend them to their new location. It can be done. A better solution may be to leave the wireway and raceways, remove the wall and just turn the panels around.

anbm

So the conduits all are run within the slab. There are a few ways to do this first, after you demo everything you would need to pull out all of the wire and chop out the conduit elbows until you get to a straight section of raceway. Then you would need to extend them to their new location. It can be done. A better solution may be to remove the walls and just turn the panels around.
No in-slab pull, j-box needed to extend old conduits to new panel location?

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
"A VFD with a battery that will keep my 300HP pump motor running for up to 6 hours if the utility loses power and the generator runs out of fuel. Money is no object." Not wanting to waste a lot of time, I quoted him my back-of-the-napkin estimate of $500k and apparently money IS an object...

Wow. Cheap for that much energy storage.

:)

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.