Remote Array, Additional Disconnect?

Ken_S

Occupation
Electrician
Given a remote ground mount array with a Solar Edge SE series inverter at the array. Would an additional AC disconnect be required if the inverter already has a disconnect switch built into the unit?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
If the disconnect is only a DC disconnect, like all the ones I've seen, then yes.

Imagine for whatever reason you need to kill AC power to the inverter. It is safer, and more convenient, to have a disconnecting means right there in sight. It helps ensure that someone else doesn't turn it on when they can't see you, and doesn't encourage you to cut corners to avoid making the walk to wherever the remote disconnect is.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
If the disconnect is only a DC disconnect, like all the ones I've seen, then yes.

Imagine for whatever reason you need to kill AC power to the inverter. It is safer, and more convenient, to have a disconnecting means right there in sight. It helps ensure that someone else doesn't turn it on when they can't see you, and doesn't encourage you to cut corners to avoid making the walk to wherever the remote disconnect is.
Agreed. Take a close look at the data sheet; most (all?) SolarEdge inverters have an integrated DC disco but no AC disco. Of course, if the inverter already has an AC disco, another one at the inverter would be redundant (not needed) as long as there is a disconnecting means at the point of interconnection.

Ken_S

Occupation
Electrician
Agreed. Take a close look at the data sheet; most (all?) SolarEdge inverters have an integrated DC disco but no AC disco. Of course, if the inverter already has an AC disco, another one at the inverter would be redundant (not needed) as long as there is a disconnecting means at the point of interconnection.
Looking through information on the Solar Edge website I'm seeing conflicting information for the same products. One document states that it disconnects both AC and DC, another just states DC circuits.

Ken_S

Occupation
Electrician
Going by the product manual they are referring to it as a DC disconnect, so that resolves that.

Thanks for your help

ggunn

Occupation
Looking through information on the Solar Edge website I'm seeing conflicting information for the same products. One document states that it disconnects both AC and DC, another just states DC circuits.
SolarEdge's documentation is not the greatest and they keep changing their hardware. Many times we had to examine the inverters themselves after we bought them to see which version we got.

ggunn

Occupation
I’d first question why anyone would use SolarEdge for a ground mount
I agree; the main advantage to using SolarEdge inverters, IMO, is for their native rapid shutdown compliance, which is unnecessary for ground mounted PV systems.