Remote control lighting, dimmers and receivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Hey all,

I'm looking to add a chandelier to the center of a room. I have recessed lights currently on a switch/dimmer. I was thinking I could remove the switch, tie the conductors through giving me constant voltage at the recessed lights. Then install two remote control dimmers like the Insteon type, and two receivers somehow in the ceiling where they can be powered with what formerly was the load from the switch and feed out to each of the new loads. (4 recessed lights as one load and the chandelier as the other load).

All I'm finding is a controlled receptacle which I'm pretty sure I couldn't hide in the ceiling even if it had a load out function. I was looking at something called a micro-dimmer, but that appears to be added behind a switch still requiring hardwiring of the line and the load from the switch box. I'm not even sure why the words "remote control" are included in the description.

Any help on a solution to my problem or even some basic knowledge on how those micro-dimmers work and what problem they solve.

jaylectricity

Occupation
The finished walls cannot be disturbed. There's crown, rope lighting and all kinds of stuff in the corners otherwise I'd just fish a new wire up there.

mkgrady

Just a guess. Could you change the dimmer to a single pole switch, install a fan/light remote at the first recess above the ceiling, connect the chandelier to the fan controller and the recess to the light control? When you want either load to come on you flip the switch. then you use the remote to make whatever changes you want. If that doesn't work maybe two remotes would work.

jaylectricity

Occupation
That would work, but this is a nice home and the remotes would stick out like a sore thumb. I can't remember the exact brand but he already has some pretty nice lighting and dimmers all over that area of the house.

mirawho

Hi Jay. There are in-line dimmers that fit in deep 4S boxes. Westinghouse and others make conversion kits for lights and fans. Check out the In-LineLinc by Insteon. I will a link below and that should get you going in the direction you want.

http://www.insteon.com/2475DA1-In-LineLinc-Dimmer-DB.html

http://www.westinghouselighting.com...ing-fan-and-light-remote-control-7787400.aspx

You can find this stuff at Home Depot or Lowes. Hunter, the company that makes ceiling fans, they also make a conversion kit. You can shop to find the size you want.

jaylectricity

Occupation
Hi Jay. There are in-line dimmers that fit in deep 4S boxes. Westinghouse and others make conversion kits for lights and fans. Check out the In-LineLinc by Insteon. I will a link below and that should get you going in the direction you want.

http://www.insteon.com/2475DA1-In-LineLinc-Dimmer-DB.html

Now that looks like something I can work with. Then I just need the controller dimmer for the wall. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.