Remote motion sensor for security lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have a residential customer who wants to have two motion-triggered lights, but it would be beneficial to have the sensors closer to the area to be covered than the lights.

Unless there is a sensor with reliable coverage out to 100 feet or so. Either WI-FI or a stand-alone RF link would work, and either sensor triggering both lights would be a bonus.

A couple of things:

1. From what I've read, LEDs don't play well with motion sensors, which still seem to be designed for incandescent lighting, unless the sensor has relay switching. Do any of you have information about this?

2. The lights are LED security lights that come with a twist-lock photocell on top. Is there any reason to bypass the photocell if controlled by a motion sensor? Isn't there a "dummy" bypass plug available?

Any other advice is welcome.

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
Where did you read LEDs don't play with motion sensors? We spec them all the time and don't have issues.

You typically don't want the lights to come on during the day, so I wouldn't bypass the photocell. I haven't seen a bypass plug available.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Where did you read LEDs don't play with motion sensors? We spec them all the time and don't have issues.

You typically don't want the lights to come on during the day, so I wouldn't bypass the photocell. I haven't seen a bypass plug available.
Well, those with dual-brite technology require dimmable LED lights, which outdoor lighting normally doesn't have. Plus, how would a photo-cell work on the dimmed output? I still think relay operation is best.

Every outdoor motion sensor I've seen includes a photocell.

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
The dimming I've dealt with typically has a set low point when the photocell is active and no motion detected. When motion is detected, the light goes to 100%.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Pretty sure you can have separate motion sensors with Ring, that will operate Ring floodlights.
LEDs and motion sensors work very well.
Another option would be RAB products, they have a lot of motion sensor LED products, and great tech support

Status
Not open for further replies.