Remotely controlling ON/OFF for 10 out of 20 LED fixtures on multiple circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwright

Hello,

Soon I will be replacing 20 x 100w metal halide fixtures with LEDs. The lights are controlled by photo sensor/contactors/relay, also there is an override switch to bypass the photo sensor. Fixtures will use existing 120v circuits, not sure of wattage/load for the new LEDs.

My situation is this: I have to turn 10 of the 20 lights off at night, once a week, for several hours. I have been removing the lamps from their socket to turn them off. (my knees are complaining about all the ladder moves) I can't breaker them off without affecting other lights on same circuit.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a reliable remote lighting control product that would work for this application.

Appreciate the assist

Guy

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Sounds like you need to talk to the Bean Counters. How much time does it take you each week to screw out and screw in the lamps? What other productive tasks could be done? What additional hazards are you exposed to while attempting to extend the useful hours of a lamp that will soon be replaced?

Best way would be to add switching, requiring some additional wires to be pulled or wait it out until the LEDs are installed.

IMFOTP

Looking at the cost of running these lights for, say 8hrs at night once a week.....

[(10) fixtures x (100) W x (8)hrs ]/1000x $.14 cents/kwh = $1.12

$1.12, that's how much your saving. Even less when you convert to LED.

We need more information as to what the end goal is. Reducing energy use doesn't make sense.
I'm trying to imagine a purpose to turning half of the lights off, once a week for a few hours.

There is a product called Lumentalk but that would require replacing all the fixtures, big $$$ there.

Occupation
EC - retired
Looking at the cost of running these lights for, say 8hrs at night once a week.....

[(10) fixtures x (100) W x (8)hrs ]/1000x $.14 cents/kwh = $1.12

$1.12, that's how much your saving. Even less when you convert to LED.

We need more information as to what the end goal is. Reducing energy use doesn't make sense.
I'm trying to imagine a purpose to turning half of the lights off, once a week for a few hours.

There is a product called Lumentalk but that would require replacing all the fixtures, big $$$ there.

IIRC, HID are supposed to be cycled off every so many hours to extend lamp life.

IMFOTP

IIRC, HID are supposed to be cycled off every so many hours to extend lamp life.

OP states that these new fixtures will be LED.

You're right though...

In applications where Metal Halide lamps are on a 24-hour operating cycle, 7 days a week, they are to be turned off once per week, for at least 1 hour. This is to mprevent the reote possibility of a lamp rupturing and the heated components separating from the lamp. However, OP said these are on a photocell, which would suggest dusk-dawn operation. In that case, I don't see the benefit of cycling HID lamp unnecessarily (which leads to shortened lamp life)

Occupation
EC - retired
OP states that these new fixtures will be LED.

You're right though...

In applications where Metal Halide lamps are on a 24-hour operating cycle, 7 days a week, they are to be turned off once per week, for at least 1 hour. This is to mprevent the reote possibility of a lamp rupturing and the heated components separating from the lamp. However, OP said these are on a photocell, which would suggest dusk-dawn operation. In that case, I don't see the benefit of cycling HID lamp unnecessarily (which leads to shortened lamp life)

Yes, I know...makes no sense to be doing it at all unless the bypass switch is on all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.