Removability of Metal Wireway Covers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Engineer
376.2 defines metal wireways as "sheet metal troughs with hinged or removable covers". I have a wireway going across the tops of a few equipment cabinets to house wires going between the cabinets. During installation, I can certainly have the top cover be removable in order to "lay my conductors in place", but ultimately there is some conduit going into the top cover, and once this is installed with its conductors inside, the cover is not going to be very easily "removable", for inspection or any other reason. Is this a problem?

I could conceivably make a side removable or hinged, but that will be quite difficult to get to as well, due to a nearby partition that will go up after the equipment is installed.

kwired

Electron manager
If you have a raceway entering a section that you can't easily open to gain access it is sort of like having a junction box or conduit body with no removable cover. How are you to gain access to this "pull point"? Can't say for certain off top of my head what code section is in violation but kind of have a feeling it is a violation somewhere.

I do know you can pass wireway say through a wall and not have ability to remove cover at that point as long as there is nothing in that particular section that needs access.

Occupation
Engineer
If you have a raceway entering a section that you can't easily open to gain access it is sort of like having a junction box or conduit body with no removable cover. How are you to gain access to this "pull point"? Can't say for certain off top of my head what code section is in violation but kind of have a feeling it is a violation somewhere.

I do know you can pass wireway say through a wall and not have ability to remove cover at that point as long as there is nothing in that particular section that needs access.
The trough lays horizontally across three pieces of equipment. Each cabinet has an opening through which cables pass into the trough. During installation, cables going from one cabinet to the other are laid into the trough from the top. Finally, the cover goes on and tubing is installed vertically in the cover, above the openings into the cabinets. Pulls for the tubing are done through the interiors of the cabinets, which have removable doors/panels.

kwired

Electron manager
The trough lays horizontally across three pieces of equipment. Each cabinet has an opening through which cables pass into the trough. During installation, cables going from one cabinet to the other are laid into the trough from the top. Finally, the cover goes on and tubing is installed vertically in the cover, above the openings into the cabinets. Pulls for the tubing are done through the interiors of the cabinets, which have removable doors/panels.
I got most of that the first time. What you are describing isn't really a whole lot different than burying a junction or pull box in a wall or ceiling with no ready access. I don't know of exact code violation off top of my head, but seems pretty likely you need to have access. Flexible conduit or cable into cover may allow access where rigid wiring methods may not.

Occupation
Engineer
I got most of that the first time. What you are describing isn't really a whole lot different than burying a junction or pull box in a wall or ceiling with no ready access. I don't know of exact code violation off top of my head, but seems pretty likely you need to have access. Flexible conduit or cable into cover may allow access where rigid wiring methods may not.
4x 250MCM isn't going to be very flexible, no matter what it's put in...

kwired

Electron manager
How about if I break the cover into sections, so that the parts that don't have tubing can be remove for inspection of bundling etc?
Though I can't exactly say entering the cover would be wrong and back it up with a specific code section (I did look a little harder before making this post), I do like that idea, just make sure you also comply with 376.23 (A and/or B) If I were an inspector for this application probably would not approve without seeing it, or at least some sort of drawing first, just to make sure I didn't misunderstand what you are describing.

MAC702

I, also, don't see a violation yet. The purpose of this cover is for installation, not inspection. The inside is no different than conduit once installed. But that's my thought and I am willing to be shown differently.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Code wise?, but I have cut cover around pipe to be able to access the enclosure. Never know when a new idea will need to be added and I personally don't like trying to fish around.

Occupation
Engineer
Here's my client's idea: instead of connecting the tubing to the wireway cover, run it through a slightly oversized opening in the cover and connect it to the cabinet under the wireway. That way, the cover can still come off. No idea what an inspector would think of tubing running across/through a wireway, though.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Can the tubing run behind the wireway? Do they necessarily have to be in the same plane, or does the wireway need to be as large as currently selected?

Or could the wireway cover be manufactured with a hinge in the middle, so that the tubing enters the 'fixed' part of the cover but you still have access from the other part?

-Jon

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Here's my client's idea: instead of connecting the tubing to the wireway cover, run it through a slightly oversized opening in the cover and connect it to the cabinet under the wireway. That way, the cover can still come off. No idea what an inspector would think of tubing running across/through a wireway, though.
I don't believe the code would ban tubing from the inside of a wire way.

I am not real sure what you would gain by doing the though.

Why not run flex the last few feet and attach the flex to the cover. Then you can open the cover just by moving the flex out of the way.

Occupation
Engineer
Can the tubing run behind the wireway? Do they necessarily have to be in the same plane, or does the wireway need to be as large as currently selected?

Or could the wireway cover be manufactured with a hinge in the middle, so that the tubing enters the 'fixed' part of the cover but you still have access from the other part?

-Jon
They unfortunately have to be in the same plane, due to space limitations and the structure of the equipment cabinets. Your second suggestion (if I understand it correctly) is what I alluded to earlier as "doing the cover in sections", thanks.

Occupation
Engineer
I don't believe the code would ban tubing from the inside of a wire way.

I am not real sure what you would gain by doing the though.

Why not run flex the last few feet and attach the flex to the cover. Then you can open the cover just by moving the flex out of the way.
I'll discuss this idea with the team, but it seems to me that with four pieces of flex tubing, each with four 250MCM conductors inside, it won't be very "flexible" or easily movable.

kwired

Electron manager
Done that a few times before, though not through an access cover. Most the time to find a way to get class 2 controls or communications "through" the wireway when there was no other practical way to do so. It will reduce cross sectional area of the wire way at that point, but usually isn't a problem for a smaller raceway passing through.

Occupation
Engineer
Is there a reason why the cover can't be installed in the front vertical plane instead of the top horizontal plane? It all seems rather impractical otherwise.
After the equipment and wireways are installed, a wall goes up that makes access difficult. The sketch below is not exactly how it will be done, but shows the general idea. I guess maybe the wall could have a removable panel...

Screen Shot 2019-02-05 at 9.58.13 AM.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.