Removability of Metal Wireway Covers

Status
Not open for further replies.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
They unfortunately have to be in the same plane, due to space limitations and the structure of the equipment cabinets. Your second suggestion (if I understand it correctly) is what I alluded to earlier as "doing the cover in sections", thanks.

Okay, I was seeing something different for the 'doing the cover in section'.

Forgive me for not drawing pictures. Think of the trough as a long box sitting east-west. You could break the lid up into sections using north-south cuts, so you might have 12" of cover, then a cut, then 6" of cover with a conduit in it, then 12" of removable cover, then 6" of cover with another conduit in it, .....

Or you could break the cover up with one long east-west cut replaced with a hinge. All of the conduit are attached to the 'north' side of the cover, but you have access by opening up the 'south' side of the cover.

IMHO I don't think there is a code problem with the conduit going entirely through the trough; just that you lose the entire diameter of the conduit from the cross section of the trough; with just the wire crossing the trough you lose much less east-west available area.

IMHO I think that your idea sectioning the cover into removable and not removable parts is what makes the most sense. Totally separate from code compliance I think that it would be more manageable to work with.

You already mentioned that you considered having the cover on the 'front' of the trough but that it would be difficult to work with/access in that position. Is this still the case if you have the cover on the front but cut into smaller pieces?

-Jon

Occupation
Engineer
Think of the trough as a long box sitting east-west. You could break the lid up into sections using north-south cuts, so you might have 12" of cover, then a cut, then 6" of cover with a conduit in it, then 12" of removable cover, then 6" of cover with another conduit in it

That's exactly what I was thinking

Or you could break the cover up with one long east-west cut replaced with a hinge. All of the conduit are attached to the 'north' side of the cover, but you have access by opening up the 'south' side of the cover.

That's a good idea, too! Thanks for your input :)

Status
Not open for further replies.