Remove an LB without Dynamite?

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
WD40 works for the simplest of issues.

Real penetrating oil applied a day or two before then whack the threaded area with a 3 lb hammer while holding another 3 lb hammer on the opposite side.

Cut a slot or two and apply your WD40. Hammer treatment.
Cut the LB off just past the threads then slot what's left of it.
I hope you have a lot of blades, That type of LB is tough.
The milwakee "torch" is the longest lasting for rigid demo and the sort.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
All,

Thanks again. I have a little time, so I decided to fall back and regroup. Early this morning, I thought about just cutting the whole thing off and using a compression fitting. I'll go back in a week and try all your good ideas (with my angle grinder and conduit threader) and a fallback compression fitting. Will update you with photos then.

Thanks again,

Mark

xformer

Occupation
Master Electrician
Thanks to all. If I was starting from home, the angle grinder and threader would go on the truck, but I'm working out of a hotel room and only have what I have. Your comments are all very much appreciated.

Mark
I would have used some water to dislove what appears to be a salt coating on the LB.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
All,

Thanks again. I have a little time, so I decided to fall back and regroup. Early this morning, I thought about just cutting the whole thing off and using a compression fitting. I'll go back in a week and try all your good ideas (with my angle grinder and conduit threader) and a fallback compression fitting. Will update you with photos then.

Thanks again,

Mark
If you have access to it within a reasonable time, I'd try Kroil. It's WD-40 on steroids. That stuff can get in anywhere. Assuming the parts haven't been completely corroded together.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
You were all so kind to help with this. I finally got back to the offending LB today. I was able to rotate it loose, clean up the threads, apply Kopr-Shield and install a new LL. Just wanted all to know how it finally went.

Thanks,

Mark

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
You were all so kind to help with this. I finally got back to the offending LB today. I was able to rotate it loose, clean up the threads, apply Kopr-Shield and install a new LL. Just wanted all to know how it finally went.

Thanks,

Mark
Thanks for reporting back. Too frequently the outcome remains a mystery to the rest of us.