Removing Soffit and Exposing Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBoone

Occupation
General Contractor
58105016-8A02-41F0-B7FB-CFF2008B993A.jpg

Sideways picture .... iPhone :roll:

Okay so here is my situation. This is the conduit coming from a meter/main on the exterior of the house. Im bidding this job of adding on a back porch with roof tied into existing roof, fireplace, etc.

The bottom of my porch ceiling would be the same level as the top of that beam in the picture.

All cornice under the new roof would be removed so the new ceiling go all the over to the exterior wall.

Any good ideas on what to do to hide/protect the 12”-14” of cable other than having to pull it out, repipe, and hook back up?

Would love to not have to do that

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Yeah, I think it is Wiremold(R) and others that make gutter that you can use under joists such as in a basement to run a bunch of romex through instead of drilling holes, maybe that would be something to consider.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Oh! I see the image better this time. My screen is at a better angle and, what was simply black, now has the detail of the top of the wall inside the cutout in the soffit. I can see, now, the SE cable. I stayed at a motel in the Michigan UP where someone had used vinyl gutter to cover a raceway / SE cable install. . .

I really have no good idea. . . sorry.

DBoone

Occupation
General Contractor
Yeah, I think it is Wiremold(R) and others that make gutter that you can use under joists such as in a basement to run a bunch of romex through instead of drilling holes, maybe that would be something to consider.

I will check into the gutter possibility. Maybe I can come up with something aesthetically pleasing

DBoone

Occupation
General Contractor
Oh! I see the image better this time. My screen is at a better angle and, what was simply black, now has the detail of the top of the wall inside the cutout in the soffit. I can see, now, the SE cable. I stayed at a motel in the Michigan UP where someone had used vinyl gutter to cover a raceway / SE cable install. . .

I really have no good idea. . . sorry.

Al, thanks.

Let me know if anything comes to mind.

ritelec

Al, thanks.

Let me know if anything comes to mind.

any type of wood, plastic, metal... be creative... maybe the same size conduit notch down to slide se into and butt up against the existing pipe..
or disconnect and resleave as you said.
What I'm thinking is... if it just gets a plastic channel or something over it... isn't that like snaking wire horizontally in siding... I mean, someone would have to be REAL stupid to screw into it... BUT there's alot fo STUPID people in the world.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Your comment reminded me of this Arlington Industries Cableway System. That link is to a PDF catalog page that shows all the parts, and some possible configurations.

If I'm reading the information correctly, the "B" dimension is only 2 inches, however, which may not be deep enough.

JFletcher

Add on a piece of EMT or GRC to the existing, painted white. Or if it's s e cable, take a piece of 3 in PVC conduit, rip it along its axis creating a shell, strap in place. SE cable does not need to be protected that far above grade.

From a structural standpoint, it is unlikely they will be able to add on a roof from that point, it will either be too low to the ground or flat as all requiring a flat roof system rather than shingles.

DBoone

Occupation
General Contractor
Add on a piece of EMT or GRC to the existing, painted white. Or if it's s e cable, take a piece of 3 in PVC conduit, rip it along its axis creating a shell, strap in place. SE cable does not need to be protected that far above grade.

From a structural standpoint, it is unlikely they will be able to add on a roof from that point, it will either be too low to the ground or flat as all requiring a flat roof system rather than shingles.

If if I get the job I will do the framing myself. The problem isn’t the roof it is the ceiling of the new patio.

It will be an open patio so beams on posts around the perimeter. I will tie my beams into existing house walls and the top of my beams I will make them flush with the top of the house wall....keep old and new at same plane.

My ceiling joists will sit on my beams, so my patio ceiling height will be at top of beam in picture.

All cornice under patio will be cut back so my ceiling can run all the way over and kill into exterior wall.

Thats where i end end up with about 12” of exposed cable that I need to sleeve.

ritelec

Is it running through and will it be running through the building?

Doesn't look like there's a disconnect and over current protection,,

Maybe I'm missing something.( is it in the meter pan enclosure ? )

Status
Not open for further replies.