Repair or replace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

220/221

Where do you draw the line in this case?

Apartment buildings. There are a total of 12, 4 packs and one 6 pack meter/mains thet feed the apartments with 60 amp circuits. Load is a small AC and lighting.....gas appliances. Built in 1980.

The bus has burned completely where the breaker plugs in, on one leg of one apartment.

All of the other breakers in this service showed substantial signs of burning. One will not make it thru the summer.

The part(s) are no longer available.

It's not rocket science and I COULD make/have made replacement pieces.

I made a temp repair bus out of copper and will install it tomorrow to get the occupied unit on line.

The rest of the services will obviously need attention.

Do you just quote new equipment or assume responsibility of building and installing new bus?

Seems like a waste since everything else seems to be built solid but I don't think I want the responsibility.

I'm thinking new services.

In the photos, the bus has been removed from top meter, B phase.

DSC01534.jpg

DSC01535.jpg

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
220/221 said:
All of the other breakers in this service showed substantial signs of burning. One will not make it thru the summer.

The part(s) are no longer available.

Sounds like you answered your own question. If the breakers are shot and no replacements are available, you have no choice. The apartment owners can either pay now or pay later. It's a lot easier/cheaper to schedule a shutdown now, then do an emergency replacement later....

electricalperson

i would replace it. trying to repair something thats not available is only asking for trouble in the future. its like wrapping your hand in electrical tape after you get a cut. works until the end of the day when you go home and can really wash it

satcom

We get calls from the PM's all the time looking for a cheap repair, they finally rea;ize they need a new meter set after the fire trucks leave, then the call is a panic call, and money pops up, then they blame the guy, that tries to repair it for the fire.

Podagrower

I would not be willing to take any responsibility for replacement busses on a building like this--way too many peoples lifes and property at stake. It looks like ITE gear? I vote for replacement.

ultramegabob

I wouldnt manufacture any parts, its setting you up for a bigtime lawsuit if something else goes wrong, even if its not a part you layed your hands on specifically. the apt. manager needs to set these people up in differnt apts. or get them hotels until you can get new manufacture parts, or new equipment....

Buck Parrish

[
I made a temp repair bus out of copper and will install it tomorrow to get the occupied unit on line.

T

I almost never make a temporary. Not unless you know the owner will definitely change it (Install all new stuff) . Or Sometimes I will get the go ahead (signed contract) to change it first before I make something temporary.
You can put individual 100 or 125 amp disconnects where the wires come out of the wall. The meters above them, maybe a gutter. If you don't have an other 6 meter base with disconnects nearby. You may have to put a junction on one or two of them.

nakulak

anytime you are going to put your livelihood and your neck on the chopping block, the the benefits must outweigh the risk. Imsho, this is not the case. It seems like you are sticking your neck out for nothing. If that place burns down before the temporary fix is replaced, you stand to lose your business, your license, etc etc. Plus you stand to get screwed if they take their time contracting you to do the permanent fix - every day it sits your neck is still on the block.

satcom

buckofdurham said:
[

T

I almost never make a temporary. Not unless you know the owner will definitely change it (Install all new stuff) . Or Sometimes I will get the go ahead (signed contract) to change it first before I make something temporary.
You can put individual 100 or 125 amp disconnects where the wires come out of the wall. The meters above them, maybe a gutter. If you don't have an other 6 meter base with disconnects nearby. You may have to put a junction on one or two of them.

Yup, get the contract signed first, the new meter sets are not priced bad, they install easy, they are still a bunch of old hanger ones that will spend more labor, thinking they can save money by building a meter set with gutter, we have a few of those old hold outs here, they end up building a rust bucket, that rusts out before it's time , buy the new meter set and be done with it.

frogneck77

I would not install a temp repair bus. I would tell the owner the entire service needs to be replaced and give him a price. It is not worth the money you might receive for the temp repair versus the liability you face performing a temp repair. Tell the owner to put the affected parties up until you can complete the repair. If he doesnt get the problem fixed the tenant legally doesnt have to pay rent, so you will either get the job or he loses money..

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Sounds like we're unanimous here: replace.

Figure up exactly what you would assemble for the permanent repair, and firmly recommend that you do that now. Tell Mr. Landlord the he'll be paying more in double labor charges when it's over if you try to patch it first.

You should be able to get a horizontal 6-meter base with a center terminal box, and nipple down into six individual 100a disco's mounted directly onto the six outgoing conduits that I think I see in the top picture.

I recently had a head inspector tell me asseblies not made for part replacements cannot be repaired. A line-side meter lug burned, I didn't want to work it hot, and the POCO requires an inspection to re-energize.

Buck Parrish

frogneck77 said:
I would not install a temp repair bus. I would tell the owner the entire service needs to be replaced and give him a price. It is not worth the money you might receive for the temp repair versus the liability you face performing a temp repair. Tell the owner to put the affected parties up until you can complete the repair. If he doesnt get the problem fixed the tenant legally doesnt have to pay rent, so you will either get the job or he loses money..

Plus it gives the owner time to get more estimates.

I would use a six meter base if available in your area. I just mentioned the individuals in case it is not.

brian john

With all distribution equipment there is testing to assist in answering your question. For meter stacks the main test is to hit it with a 16 LB sledge hammer for 10 minutes if there is anything left of the typical meter stack JUNK, it is suitable for scrap.

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
brian john said:
With all distribution equipment there is testing to assist in answering your question. For meter stacks the main test is to hit it with a 16 LB sledge hammer for 10 minutes if there is anything lefty of the typical meter stack JUNK, it is suitable for scrap.
Did you ever live in Salem?

quogueelectric

If you really want to try to change the bus detail try contacting ATLAS SWITCH CO in garden city , New York They are custom buss manufacturers and will make any bus detail you need WITH the ul listing you want just pass it on to the customer with say 10% markup would be more than fair. They usually like to field fit just mail them the bad piece and i am sure they could do something for you.

220/221

Sounds unanimous.

I will tell them that the only option is to repair.

It is my nature to help people and to help things go smoothly, that's why I picked up a piece of copper for a temp repair.

I will just pretend that there is nothing I can do about it.

Thanks for setting me on the right track.:)

frizbeedog

nakulak said:
anytime you are going to put your livelihood and your neck on the chopping block, the the benefits must outweigh the risk. Imsho, this is not the case. It seems like you are sticking your neck out for nothing. If that place burns down before the temporary fix is replaced, you stand to lose your business, your license, etc etc. Plus you stand to get screwed if they take their time contracting you to do the permanent fix - every day it sits your neck is still on the block.

Are you taking the position that a temp repair to get a unit back on line while new equipment is obtained is out of the question?

220/221, show us your temp repair, I have a feeling it will be quality. But replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.