Replacement breaker for Crouse Hinds

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZsparky

I have a client with a old Crouse Hinds residential panel that has some now failing 1/2" breakers. They are the kind with the little clips on the side, half of them are right side clip, half of them are left side clip, so together they fit on one buss stab. I was wondering if there are any listed replacements for these as a one piece tandem breaker? I thought some of you may have done this before and would appreciate your input...thanks...

cpinetree

Crouse Hinds was bought by Murray. Murray breakers are availble through Lowe's if no local supply house handles them.

Eaton Cutler Hammer CL line of breakers are listed to fit Crouse Hinds also, but no twins available :happysad:

Eaton pdf link: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CEcQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.eaton.com%2Fecm%2Fidcplg%3FIdcService%3DGET_FILE%26allowInterrupt%3D1%26RevisionSelectionMethod%3DLatestReleased%26Rendition%3DPrimary%26%26dDocName%3DSA00304001E&ei=sTRRU--kGLe1sATK9YDoBg&usg=AFQjCNFZUbprHAGwzCTW6lvYbkU4FLvqKQ&bvm=bv.65058239,d.cWc&cad=rja

Scroll down after opening the pdf, the first bit is upside down ;)

norcal

Crouse-Hinds was bought by Siemens & reverted back to their original name Murray. HD seems to carry Murray if can't find them at a supply house.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Crouse-Hinds was bought by Siemens & reverted back to their original name Murray. HD seems to carry Murray if can't find them at a supply house.

I 100% agree with norcal. Crouse-Hinds purchased Murray many years ago then later sold it to Siemens. Siemens markets the line under the original Murray name. Siemens eliminated all of the original Murray/Crouse Hinds breaker designs. They sell Siemens breakers with Murray labels.

Unfortunately Siemens and Murray breakers are not interchangeable due to the way they are labeled. I don't know why Siemens doesn't label all of the breakers with both the Siemens number and Murray number so they can be use in both lines.

norcal

To add to the previous post, the current Murray breakers are the ITE design that came out when Gould Inc owned ITE. Why the Murray & Siemens branded breakers are not interchangeable is crazy IMO, before getting picky about which breaker goes into a panel, did use some Siemens/Murray in a ITE panel, but my attitude then was if ITE fit, thats what went in, since repented....:D

Since the I-T-E brand has not been used in many years, gives a idea how long ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.