Replacement options for Zinsco Type T-C in an apartment cluster meter?

brycenesbitt

This breaker, and this breaker only, has to change.
Sure, we could get a used one on eBay.
Sure, this could be pigtailed out to an external modern box.
However, there's a lot of physical space in here. Is there a pathway for something that nestles in that available space?
The breaker is a Zinsco Type T-C CB-12 30 amp. The cluster meter is CAT MTML 3TV (or maybe MTML-3TV).
The Type T-C does not have a busbar: it's four wire terminals.

Your thoughts?
Replacing the entire multi-meter unit is completely out of the question - no need to say it's the recommended practice - no need to note the rust.

Attachments

• PXL_20230813_231145574.jpg
    PXL_20230813_231145574.jpg
    780.1 KB · Views: 43

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer

brycenesbitt

Square D QOU type breakers are wire-in/wire-out like that. So a QOU230 would do it. They mount on DIN rail or clips that come with them that screw onto a back panel.

What's the NEC implication of that?

Is there any code problem with cutting the old faceplate to match a bigger breaker?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
What's the NEC implication of that?

Is there any code problem with cutting the old faceplate to match a bigger breaker?
With no bus bars or bracing involved, there wouldn’t be an issue with this from an engineering perspective.

The NEC would be an issue if this were new equipment that you are modifying before it was being installed because the unit wouldn’t be UL listed with the Square D breakers. But as a repair, is that really an issue? I don’t think any AHJ is going to complain about getting rid of Zinsco breakers. I wouldn’t hesitate to do this and be ready to defend it against any complaints.

norcal

The QOU & the Zinsco breakers are close in some aspects, & may not have to modify the opening of the dead front very much, just for grins & giggles took a couple single pole QOU breakers & a 2 pole Zinsco to compare & they are close. The DIN rail mounting should make it easy to mount. Please note I did not compare heights.

brycenesbitt

I don’t think any AHJ is going to complain about getting rid of Zinsco breakers. I wouldn’t hesitate to do this and be ready to defend it against any complaints.
One of my concerns is almost the opposite. It feels if I justify replacing any single Zinsco/FPE main breakers on safety grounds (eg. Aronstein test results ( https://inspectapedia.com/electric/Zinsco-Failure-Test-Report.php )) why stop there? Feels like they'd all have to go.
Similar multimeter panels are all over my area: nearly ubiquitous in 4-20 unit apartment complexes.

Thanks for everyone's comments on this matter, it helps sharpen the focus here.