Replacing 10/3 low voltage transformer - Confused about wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNOiSY

Adapting 10/3 to new transformer?......

2 of our 5 low voltage transformers, used for low voltage landscape lighting, have died and needed replacement. In my rush to get them replaced, I ordered a couple nice Volt Brand 12v low voltage transformers with astronomical timers and when they arrived today, I realized I had a problem with the current wiring.

The dead transformers that are being replaced use a 10/3 12v setup that I am not familiar with and am not sure will work with the new transformers. Since our lighting setup is pretty comprehensive, I am REALLY hoping I can avoid doing new cable runs.

I have attached a picture of the terminals of the transformers being replaced. I have also attached the PDF manual for the product. In short, they are 600w 12v ac transformers but instead of the standard 2 wire terminals, it uses a 10/3 setup. I assumed one terminal was common but it looks like I am wrong.

transformer manual CI147X032_Page_1.jpg transformer manual CI147X032_Page_2.jpg 2017-09-14_12h39_09.png

You can also view our current transformer at https://www.e-conolight.com/pdf/Inst...s/CI147X03.PDF

I am confident I have sized everything correctly and am happy with the transformers I bought to replace these, I am just hoping I can somehow get these new Volt transformers to work with my current 10/3 wiring setup.

I cannot even find 10/3 transformers for 12v ac on the web, so I am a bit confused why our electrician used these only 4 years ago when we had everything installed.

Is there any way to make this work?

Thank you SO much in advance!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:

• Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals

* This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the
report-40b.png
button at the bottom left corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.