Replacing a 601A fuse with a 600A fuse

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
We will need to refeed circuits that have 601A fuses.

Can you replace a 601A fuse with a 600A fuse without verifying what load it's feeding?

Can a 601A fuse be used in a 600A switch?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
We will need to refeed circuits that have 601A fuses.

Can you replace a 601A fuse with a 600A fuse without verifying what load it's feeding?

Can a 601A fuse be used in a 600A switch?
Typically no.

The 601A is probably a Class L bolt in style. In years gone past the UL listing for fuses didn't allow for ampere ratings to switch between "barrel sizes" so the minimum rating for an 800A barrel Class L was 601A.

However, I believe you can now special order Class L fuses that are 600 and smaller. Check with Cooper or Ferraz.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
Typically no.

The 601A is probably a Class L bolt in style. In years gone past the UL listing for fuses didn't allow for ampere ratings to switch between "barrel sizes" so the minimum rating for an 800A barrel Class L was 601A.

However, I believe you can now special order Class L fuses that are 600 and smaller. Check with Cooper or Ferraz.
Why would someone need a class L 601A fuse if the fuse is not a service fuse? Could it be for coordination?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
My Bussman reference shows the 600 and 601 Class L to be the same length 8-5/8,. 601 has a slightly larger diameter.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
My Bussman reference shows the 600 and 601 Class L to be the same length 8-5/8,. 601 has a slightly larger diameter.
Yeah, Class L is the key.
Class R fuses max out at 600A, but are not even close to being interchangeable with a Class L. There are fuse reducers available so you can put a 400A fuse into a 600A fuse holder, but until the listing standards changed 601A was the smallest Class L possibility.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
Why would someone need a class L 601A fuse if the fuse is not a service fuse? Could it be for coordination?
Sure or:
Arc Flash mitigation?
Remote tripping availability on bolted pressure switches, which only accept Class L fuses?
A service entrance which has now become a feeder?