Replacing Grounding Electrode Conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjp_ne_elec

Have a situation where I have to change the grounging electrode conductor due to it being damaged from years of bumping things in to it where it leaves the ground. What's the safest way?

Was thinking of running new conductors and ground rods, then just tie it in, followed up by disconnecting the old one. Hate to pull the meter for this. Anyone else see it differently?

Thanks

Brett

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
why would you replace the ground rods? are they worn out?

why can't you just add a wire around the damaged area and connect it to the old one above where the damage starts?

bjp_ne_elec

I'm not absolutely sure I'm going to replace them - but the owner tells me he has reason to be suspicious about how solid they're tied in. I think he indicated there was some digging around, so I'd really like to try and Megger them to see what resistance I get.

Anyone ever rent a Megger from a supply house? I'm hoping someone around here that rents equipment rents these "bad boys".

THanks

Brett

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
bjp_ne_elec said:
I'd really like to try and Megger them to see what resistance I get.

Brett a typical Mega meter will not give you a grounding system resistance test.

You would need to get hold of a ground resistance tester if you really want to get a resistance figure.

I would not bother.

bjp_ne_elec

Iwire - I stand corrected - that's actually what I was thinking - a Megger is used to check insulation resistance - and obviously that should be a very high value - in the Megohm range.

Thanks,

Brett

MeggerMan

Technical information concerning Megger

Technical information concerning Megger

Moderator's Note: I have deleted all information that was provided in this post.

MeggerMan: I appreciate your offer of information and assistance. However, web sites and email addresses and statements along the lines of "for information on this product, call me" all constitute forms of advertisement. We do not allow advertisement by Forum members.

To the membership: You may send a Private Message to MeggerMan, if you wish to get his contact information.

Last edited by a moderator:

zog

Have someone come out and do a 3 point fall of potential ground test, this test only takes about 1/2 hour if you know what you are doing and you can have it done with a graphical report for about $200. You can fond a certified tester to do this at www.netaworld.org

Status
Not open for further replies.