Replacing incandescent PAR30 indoor floods with LED BR30

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vettewine

I’m replacing three PAR30 65W indoor floods over a kitchen island with three LED BR30 indoor floods. The existing setup is a 3-way using two Leviton True Touch dimmers (one master and one companion) and everything works fine when the LEDs are installed except for completely turning them off with either dimmer. The three LEDs seem to have a very low voltage running through them after the dimmers are touched to shut them off and glow much like a nightlight would (actually looks pretty cool). I checked the main dimmer and it has the standard 3-wire plus ground hookup but when I checked the companion dimmer it had only a 2-wire plus ground hookup with no neutral wire. The dimming range is fine overall so no complaints there.

My question is that, since I can find no source for a 3-way LED dimmer pair that doesn't use the neutral wire on the companion dimmer, can the existing dimmers be used with the LEDs giving a "nightlight" illumination when off without any problems?

Or, alternatively, does anyone know of a source for a replacement LED 3-way dimmer pair (doesn't have to be touch-type) that does not need the neutral wire on the 2nd companion dimmer?
:?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Unfortunately we are not allowed to assist DIYers so I am closing this thread in accordance with the forum rules.

This site is designed for:

• Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
* This NEC� Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.