Replacing Switchboard cubicle components- Maintaining UL rating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Designer69

If I replace a combo starter with just a circuit breaker in a switchboard cubicle, what do I need to consider as far as maintaining UL rating goes?

E.G., it is a GE switchboard with GE combo starters (I'm pretty sure) and I need to replace one of the combo starters with just a circuit breaker. Shall this circuit breaker be a GE breaker UL listed to be compatible with that switchboard?

Thank You

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
SWITCHBOARD with motor starters? Might it be an MCC? If so, you cannot "maintain" a UL845 listing for any change in power components in the field, the only way to do that is to buy a new cubicle with the proper device inside.

But assuming this is already installed and inspected, the need for UL listing comes down to whether or not your company's insurance policy requires it. Some do, some don't get that specific.

Designer69

It is a GE switchboard with a bunch of GE starters in it.

Maybe you can modify components in these sections as you wish since it is a switchboard?

Are switchboard sections... no direct bus bars and are cable connected between bus and protective device? (meaning no need to worry about entire overall assembly UL rating?)

Thanks

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
If I replace a combo starter with just a circuit breaker in a switchboard cubicle, what do I need to consider as far as maintaining UL rating goes?

E.G., it is a GE switchboard with GE combo starters (I'm pretty sure) and I need to replace one of the combo starters with just a circuit breaker. Shall this circuit breaker be a GE breaker UL listed to be compatible with that switchboard?

Thank You

A lot of people will tell you that you can't do it as it "violates" the UL listing. That is not really true. The UL listing refers to how it left the manufacturer and not what happens in the field. Having said that, your best bet is to get a new section from GE with just the CB in it. The section will then be listed for installation in the existing switchboard. It does need to be "approved" by the AHJ and they are likely to not blink an eye at a GE replacement where as something you hacked together yourself might bring some unwanted attention. My understanding is that you can also get switchboard replacement parts from 3rd parties that are listed to be mounted in those switchboards.

Status
Not open for further replies.