Requirements for handyman electrical work

Status
Not open for further replies.

swamper8

Good Evening Everyone,
I would like to add some basic electrical work to my services as a handyman. I get alot of requests for replacing switches/outlets, installation of light fixtures, ceiling fans etc etc etc. I'm a good study and test taker and don't mind studying the national electric code and related materials to educate myself. Are there any certifications/licensing I can get through self study or do they all require some level of apprenticeship?

Thank you

electricmanscott

We're in the same boat more or less. I've been thinking of adding some medical procedures to my electrical biz. I'm also a good study and test taker. ;) Can I just call myself a Doctor or does that require some level of training. :roll: :D

480sparky

Licensing depends where you're located.

Some places only require a fee be paid, and maybe a bond posted. Most, however, require a structured education program, a set number of OTJ hours, and proctored testing. Insurance is a common requirement as well, along with a contractors' license.

Owning a pair of strippers and a copy of Home Depots' Wiring 1-2-3 ain't gonna cut it, at least not here.

dbuckley

I've been thinking of adding some medical procedures to my electrical biz. I'm also a good study and test taker. Can I just call myself a Doctor or does that require some level of training.
Well, you could give anesthesiology a go, some chap did in the UK, several years ago: no qualifications, just walked in and learned on the job. He was in practice for a few years.

His colleagues regarded him as an excellent anaesthetist, particularly good with children, and were most surprised when he turned out to be bogus...

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
Good Evening Everyone,
I would like to add some basic electrical work to my services as a handyman. I get alot of requests for replacing switches/outlets, installation of light fixtures, ceiling fans etc etc etc. I'm a good study and test taker and don't mind studying the national electric code and related materials to educate myself. Are there any certifications/licensing I can get through self study or do they all require some level of apprenticeship?

Thank you

I sure wish someone would define "basic electrical work" for me. Is there less chance of a fire with switches and ceiling fans. Is 120V not enough to electrocute someone? I'm trying to find the line?

Mark

swamper8

Licensing depends where you're located.

Some places only require a fee be paid, and maybe a bond posted. Most, however, require a structured education program, a set number of OTJ hours, and proctored testing. Insurance is a common requirement as well, along with a contractors' license.

Owning a pair of strippers and a copy of Home Depots' Wiring 1-2-3 ain't gonna cut it, at least not here.

Thanks for your constructive reply sparky. I just found a website that goes through some of the things you mentioned so I'm going to dig into that. I don't consider myself a DIY Home Depot'er. I have an associate in electrical engineering and work with anywhere from 5VDC to 480VAC for my daily job as a engineering tech. I'm fully aware of the dangers of electricity and the theory behind how it works.
I do handyman projects on the weekend when available to help fill the financial gaps. I'd do a electrical apprenticeship but the time just isn't available, I doubt there are many electricians looking to take on a helper for evening hours.....

kwired

Electron manager
Thanks for your constructive reply sparky. I just found a website that goes through some of the things you mentioned so I'm going to dig into that. I don't consider myself a DIY Home Depot'er. I have an associate in electrical engineering and work with anywhere from 5VDC to 480VAC for my daily job as a engineering tech. I'm fully aware of the dangers of electricity and the theory behind how it works.
I do handyman projects on the weekend when available to help fill the financial gaps. I'd do a electrical apprenticeship but the time just isn't available, I doubt there are many electricians looking to take on a helper for evening hours.....

With the education and experience you have you need to check what type of licensing in your area you may qualify for. You probably already are qualified on the design side of things but may require some experience on the installation side of things.

No licensing may be required to change a switch or do other repairs, the question is should you have liability insurance if you are going to do this type of thing. Many handymen don't have insurance and it can get them in a lot of trouble financially if they have a claim against them for something they have done even if it is non electrical work.

electricmanscott

None of this means diddly squat as far a being an electrician goes. There is NO substitution for training and experience regardless of whether or not you "have the time".. :roll:

Am I the only one that finds this guy extremely insulting? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.