Requiring a Junction Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

eeee

I have a request to see if I can add a junction box for a secondary feed to a recycling machine. Presently the feed from the MDP to the safety switch servicing the recycling machine is in tact. I am moving the recycling machine 40 feet and must move the safety switch with it obviously. Now I would like to put in a junction box where the secondary from the MDP to the safety switch used to be connected. I will then add new power cable to go from the junction box to where the safety switch will be relocated. This way I do not have to add a whole new power cable from the MDP to where the safety switch will be relocated.

The circuit is 208/120volt, 3phase, 200Amps. I am using 200 amps as a worse case estimate for the recycling machine based on circuit breakers I saw in the MDP. It was a 400amp, 3 phase 208/120volt MDP with breakers ranging from 125amps to 200amps.

eeee

Re: Requiring a Junction Box

My issue here is that the NEC does not permit I hear connecting a junction box to extend a secondary because you are moving a device further out (in this case it is a large recycling bailer). We have what I believe to be as much as a 200amp secondary here. The NEC requires running new power cable from the device that was moved out to the MDP.

I would imagine the NEC would permit splicing the cable if it was cut.

dillon3c

eeee,
In reading both of your postings..You do not have a problem in extention, of this existing feeder..

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

I am confused. You say secondary. Is there a transformer?? If so, where is it, and what kind of fuseing or circuit breakers does it have.

No offense intended, but I hope you are getting an electrician to do the work. We are all very concerned with safety here.

Steve

dillon3c

Originally posted by eeee:

The circuit is 208/120volt, 3phase, 200Amps. I am using 200 amps as a worse case estimate for the recycling machine based on circuit breakers I saw in the MDP. It was a 400amp, 3 phase 208/120volt MDP with breakers ranging from 125amps to 200amps.
Steve66,
Putting the posters terminologies aside..I have based my reply, on the above..

eeee

This is a contract we are working (developing-that is the scope of work for the construction contractor). The issue is that a transformer connects to a large MDP. The MDP has about 8 breakers in it ranging from 125 to 200amps. Presently one of these breakers is cabled to the recylcling bailer and it's perspective safety switch. Now the recycling bailer must be moved 40 feet away. Our inspector said the NEC requires that new power cable be run from the breaker in the MDP to the new location for the recycling bailer and its perspective safety switch (which we will put on unitstrut). He indicated that you can not splice the cable and locate the splice in a junction box for the purposes of attaching new cable from the junction box to the new location where the recycling bailer will be located (this is what I mean by extending the cable) as per the NEC.

One of the problems I am concerned with here is that the question must be asked just right, or the answer may not be correct since the context of the environment is not understood by the responder to the question.

dillon3c

eeee,
Did your Electrical Inspector happen to site a specific code referance , pertaining to this installation.In the determining of why it didn't comply, with the minimal standards of the NEC..?

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

It doesn't sound like your inspector has a clue. In general, splices are allowed, if they remain accessible (for example, in a junction box with a removable cover, and not burried in the ground or in a wall).

If the inspector won't budge, you could always leave the safety switch where it is, add a new safety switch at the new location, and just run new wire from the old safety switch to the machine.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Posted by dillion:

Steve66,
Putting the posters terminologies aside..I have based my reply, on the above..
Yes, I realize this. But I wondered if the safety switch might be doubling as the transformer secondary protection. Can an inspector really be this green??

Steve

eeee

The project manager indicated to me that she thought the inspector mentioned that I could not do that procedure. She also indicated that the inspector said 3 phases of number 1 cable and a number 6 ground can not fit in the conduit we have in that 2' conduit is required per the NEC. That makes sense to me.

After talking with the inspector, he indicated that the project manager misenterpreted his reference to the NEC. He said his reference to the NEC was as part of the conduit size, not the fact that you have to run new cable from the MDP to the safety switch. He mentioned as long as I put in two inch conduit for the number 1 cable from the junction box to the recyler bailer, I could use the junction box, or as I indicated another safety switch at the recycler bailer.

Right now we have 1 inch conduit to the safety switch as seen cabled from the MDP to the safety switch. He indicated he is still researching some more information.

I would think we need to replace the cable all the way back to the MDP since what is cabled from the MDP to the safety switch is still 1 inch conduit, which is in violation of the NEC. I hope I understood the inspector correctly and we clearly communicated.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Without all the information, it's difficult to assist you. If all the conduit is replaced with 2", it sounds as though things are under control.

How did exposed cable (of what type?) manage to pass inspection the first go-round? If it needs to be replaced, then why are we arguing with the inspector about junction boxes and whatnot? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.