Resi. closet door jamb switches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TobyD

I'm needing to come up with a solution to reslove a problem with some closet lighting door switches.The problem is that the switch leg is on the striker or door knob side.Thanks to the trim carpenter the doors are swinging differently from the plans.At any rate it's got to be taken care of.I have searched for a ball type 120v. normally closed switch to fix this.Can any of you men lead me to a link to help me.All I have found are 12-24v. type for alarms and etc.. Thank you

JDB3

Is there enough room to pull the wire back & install a motion switch (inside the closet) . A bunch of people I have talked with have gone with motion switches in place of door switches. Good luck.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have used this style so I don't have to use a relay but I generally talk the client out of them.

imagerequest.aspx

JDB3

In a house that my parents had built in 1963 (using lumber from the house my father was born in, in 1907) the slab/plumbers/framers & yes electricians (they did almost all of it) they used a door switch from a refrigerator for the closet door switch. :)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
In a house that my parents had built in 1963 (using lumber from the house my father was born in, in 1907) the slab/plumbers/framers & yes electricians (they did almost all of it) they used a door switch from a refrigerator for the closet door switch. :)
Did they have the wires in a jb or did they use a relay?

TobyD

Thanks for all the replies.The motion switch idea has crossed my mind.That's the route I'll probably have to take.I've installed numerous door jamb switches and often times they're a pain .I want the light to be instant on and off when the door is opened or closed.I could probably use the test mode button on a ceiling mounted sensor similiar to those on a exterior flood light...

Status
Not open for further replies.