Resi. Garage Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loffgren

re

re

The HO said they were told no due to the "fire break" Not that i am inclined to belive them, i was just looking for proof that said ya/nay..

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Loffgren said:
The HO said they were told no due to the "fire break" Not that i am inclined to belive them, i was just looking for proof that said ya/nay..

Is there a room over the garage. That may be an issue although I never heard that. I suspect the can would have to have a fire rating in that case.

raider1

Staff member
Dennis Alwon said:
Is there a room over the garage. That may be an issue although I never heard that. I suspect the can would have to have a fire rating in that case.

The IRC (Internation Residential Code) requires that if habitable space is located above a garage then the garage must be separated from the space above by 5/8" sheetrock. So the recessed cans would have to have a fire rating equivalent to that of 5/8" sheetrock, or have a sheetrock box built around the recessed can that provides the seperation.

I have had issues in the past with speaker cans installed in garages with bonus rooms above them. I have not seen a speaker can that had a fire rating.

Chris

raider1

Staff member
Loffgren said:
No rooms above just gargae attic space...so sounds like its a go???

Is the house separated from the garage by 1/2" sheetrock all the way up to the roof? The IRC also requires the garage and house to be separated by a layer of 1/2 sheetrock so the garage ceiling might be used for this purpose.

Chris

Last edited:

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
i've installed them in garages w/ no problems from the inspector. about the fire separation, i don't see any difference between the recessed light and the box for overhead door receps or surface mount lighting. anyone else?

ultramegabob

brantmacga said:
i've installed them in garages w/ no problems from the inspector. about the fire separation, i don't see any difference between the recessed light and the box for overhead door receps or surface mount lighting. anyone else?

not really, but I think it has to do with square inches of opening in the fire barrier.

mdshunk

I think most of the manufacturers have "fire cans" now. Basically a recessed can with a drywall box built around it from the manufacturer. You can have the builder do the same thing if you want to use your cans. Had to do that in a church basement once to get the locally required fire rating between the basement reception hall and the sanctuary above. They required 1" of rock, so we had 1" thick drywall boxes built around regular cans.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
raider1 said:
The IRC (Internation Residential Code) requires that if habitable space is located above a garage then the garage must be separated from the space above by 5/8" sheetrock. So the recessed cans would have to have a fire rating equivalent to that of 5/8" sheetrock, or have a sheetrock box built around the recessed can that provides the seperation.

I have had issues in the past with speaker cans installed in garages with bonus rooms above them. I have not seen a speaker can that had a fire rating.

Chris
There was a company at the Vegas CES in Jan this year that had a fire rated speaker can. I'll have to look it up if you need. got lots of biz cards and stuff.

raider1

Staff member
brantmacga said:

The difference is that plastic device boxes are typically 2 hr fire rated where the standard recessed can is not. Also a metal 4 square box is permitted in a fire assembly with certain restrictions on how many you can have in a specific area.

Chris

raider1

Staff member
Sierrasparky said:
There was a company at the Vegas CES in Jan this year that had a fire rated speaker can. I'll have to look it up if you need. got lots of biz cards and stuff.

I didn't do alot or research into it because I told the sound system installer he had to come up with a solution. He decided to box around the speaker with sheetrock. Thanks though.

Chris

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I was thinking about this question today as I was driving through a new tract.

I would agree that if there is no living space above the garage that there is not an issue, as the drywall is probably then just there for looks.

Now, if the firewall between the garage and the house does not go all the way to the roof and they are using the wall and ceiling as their 1 hr. envelope, then you would not be allowed to install the cans in the ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.