Resi Main AIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

CopperTone

I don't think you are seeing my point. What makes you think the mains are still good for another 20 years if the rest of the service needs to be replaced. You see the rust rot - right? No water got in there? I believe that the original post said there were "several hundred" services to change. It will take time to do that job - and while it is going on and you find that, some don't work, they cracked when you took them out, lugs are stripped, they overheat and burn up before the job is complete, anything really, you think the owner of the building won't blame you and say - "well, they worked fine before you touched it."
The one paying the bill could hold up payment, and generally make your life miserable while it is sorted out in court for the next 10 months. Even with a contract that is specific.
Don't be deceived here, this is only about money - my money or your money or the other guys that does the job - his money. - And the owners money. I only wanted to offer my opinion that old stuff is exacly that -
Where I live everyone goes by this " you touch it, you own it".

Argue all you want in court - I would have gotten paid by then and been off to the next job making more money. Or undercut and moved on to the next job or bid.

Artists don't make money until they are dead.

mdshunk

CopperTone said:
I don't think you are seeing my point. What makes you think the mains are still good for another 20 years if the rest of the service needs to be replaced.
I don't think they will last another 20 years, but that's not my decision to make. I offer my opinion, then I sell them whatever it is that I can talk them into. I certainly would never refuse to do the job based on an expressed desire to reuse the existing breakers. Any lugs that strip out or break off would be change orders, and I'm certain that potential fact would be highlighted in the proposal. "You touch it, you own it" is a myth. It doesn't go down that way in real life with appropriate contract language.

CopperTone

Ok funs over, I'm going to bed but I'll leave you with this - We can disagree and that is ok. I would concentrate on selling a completely new system to the owner. I would be sure they understood the value in that. I personally think it is the proper way to to do business as well. If this was 1 main - I might let it slide with specific language in a contract. But for several hundered? no way.
I might just pass on bidding this job and get a slice of the pie somewhere else. At least I know I'll get to eat it when I'm done.

iwire

Staff member
CopperTone said:
I see it as my right to show the owner how to do the job right the first time.

But your view of 'the right way' is just an opinion from your perspective.

Perhaps the customer does not care about how long it will last, maybe they are selling all these properties and simply want to fix what is necessary?

I agree with Marc.

I am constantly puzzled by guys that won't do a job at all if they can't do it their way. A small slice of the pie is better than no pie at all.

Just some CYA

Just some CYA

Chris,

If you have a contract for this, make sure you stipulate that old breakers will be used where applicable, but due to the nature of everything some may not be usable and the building owner shall be liable for cost incurred related to the use of new breakers.

Or some such nonsense.

Don't forget to mention that they won't last forever, and you're not liable if the existing equipment fails.

Either way, they will probably want you to pay to fix anything.

Just my $.02

-Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.